PDA

View Full Version : TRS-80 Model 102

chuckcmagee
October 27th, 2006, 05:28 PM
One of the slabtops in my last batch of ebay stuff turned out to be a M102. Tandy made it thinner and lighter than the M100. Upon taking it apart, Tandy sure messed up a good thing (the M100)! They flipped the motherboard over inside and used a piece of paper to shield it from shorts against the LCD and keyboard. Too many compromises, if you ask me.

curtis
October 28th, 2006, 06:33 AM
Yeah, but you still can't kill them!

I got a 102 in last week from Canada and the knucklehead I bought it from just stuck it in a box that considerably larger than it and put it in the mail.

Box arrived with a HUGE dent in it. I was livid and scared I'd bought a pig in a poke.

Put batteries in the 102 and it fired right up. The case wasn't even scratched!

Let's see modern laptops survive that sort of torture!

Curtis

chuckcmagee
October 28th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Whoever owned that M102 last did manage to kill the keyboard! Poor thing is worn out. Have to hit the F keys and the scrolling keys multiple times on some of them to get it to register.

curtis
October 28th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Chuck,

Do you need a replacement keyboard? I picked up a couple of spare cases for a project and I've got at least 1 spare keyboard I'll let you have for shipping.

Curtis

Terry Yager
October 28th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Once again, I have to disagree with you, Chuck. IMO, the 102 is vastly superior (this, from a man who has used both on a daily basis for several years, never going anywhere without one). As Curtis points out, the 102 is just as durable, although smaller & lighter. My biggest beef tho, is the arrangement of the arrow keys, since they are used extensively in writing/editing text files, my main use for the Model-Ts. I never could seem to get used to the M100's left-right-up-down layout, vs the 102's (more intuitive?) left-up-down-right arrangement. Also, the 102's access to the system bus via an external header connector seems a lot sturdier, and less easily broken than the 100's internal 40-pin DIP setup (just wait till you accidently bust off one of the pinz from your ZIF socket while jacking-in your DVI).

--T

chuckcmagee
October 28th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Hehe ok ok, the "construction paper insulation" has lasted +23 years with no problems. I just didn't like that technique, seemed "cheapo". They did manage both thinner and lighter.

curtis
November 6th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Hehe ok ok, the "construction paper insulation" has lasted +23 years with no problems. I just didn't like that technique, seemed "cheapo". They did manage both thinner and lighter.

Ya wanna see overkill on insulation/shielding? Check out my Hexbus floppy drive page! Full blown steel cage. That thing could hold a WWF wrestler at bay!
:biggrin: