PDA

View Full Version : Good restoration starting place?

DaddyZ
October 27th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Hello, I am the proud owner of a TI-99/4a with expansion system, much documentation, cartridges, etc. that have been in my garage for sometime (I aquired in a trade for some manual labor years ago, and had almost thrown it out when I moved!). Also, recently when working at one of my jobsites I happened upon not one but two 5150's with 5151 monitors and keyboards, an as yet unidentified early PC clone, a M0001 Mac and a dual floppy Apple IIe sitting within three feet of each other in a old storage room. I am currently negotiating their release.

This odd find plus the old TI I'd almost forgotten I owned has led me to this site, where I was hoping to find some information on restoration in general. I am particularly interested in methods that are commonly used to cosmetically restore old computers to fresher, if not new appearance. Is there a sticky or link or article you could recommed to new collectors? Of course at this point I'm not sure any of the recently discovered units are functional, but if they are, I am already scheming how to explain to my wife the importance of my find and how it's our duty to give these items a new home.

Thanks

curtis
October 28th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Some good stuff I've found is good ole Windex and some sort of "purple" cleaner such as Clean-Rite Purple Power.

The purple cleaner is great stuff for getting off label gunk and other sticky stuff. I've found it's best if you follow it up with Windex because it tends to leave a slimy film otherwise.

Some discoloration you can't get rid of.

Don't recommend using this on any clear plastic parts tho. If you've got scratches on clear plastic it's best to either leave it or use a VERY mild plastic polisher.

Oh, don't paint if you're trying to restore to original. Leave it as is.

That's my $0.02.

Curtis