PDA

View Full Version : Funny eBay (Was: Phunnt PhleaBay

Sharkonwheels
October 28th, 2006, 07:22 PM
heh -

Check THIS out for a laugh:
http://cgi.ebay.com/KAYPRO-II-VINTAGE-PROGRAMER-ASSY-P-N-155416-0001_W0QQitemZ300039229895QQihZ020QQcategoryZ4193Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

heh - I'm STILL giggling!

Tony

curtis
October 28th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Well, with serial number 0000003, it might be worth a little more than your standard run of the mill KII, but I think his decimal point is still a couple of positions off myself! :D

Curtis

ahm
October 28th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Look again, that "serial number" is an asset tag.

Terry Yager
October 28th, 2006, 07:41 PM
It may not be as phunny az you think:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Fujitsu-Pencentra-130-tablet-handheld-PCs_W0QQitemZ320040384248QQihZ011QQcategoryZ18792Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I mean, how come none of these guyz ever stumble upon any of my auctions?

--T

Sharkonwheels
October 28th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Terry - because the person who bid it up, was not legit.

Look it up now, and you'll see "Not a Registered User"

AHM: you hit it on the head - it's either an asset tag, or an OEM'd box, whereby Tracor sold something with a Kaypro as part of the setup.

So, $25K for a Kaypro II? Sure - gimme my $24,900 in change, though.
a II is $100, in my opinion, but gotta have original docs/softs, and it's in good shape.

Ya can;t even add teh WD1002-HD0 hard dsik controller fer Jiminy's sake!

Tony

carlsson
October 29th, 2006, 01:20 AM
The seller has received three offers (of which at least one I recognize the name). Two were declined, one expired. Although the amounts offered are private, one wonders if they were even 1/10th of the BIN.

Terry Yager
October 29th, 2006, 03:32 AM
Terry - because the person who bid it up, was not legit.

Yeah, I was thinking some kinda Nigerian scam myself.

--T

Sharkonwheels
October 29th, 2006, 10:19 AM
I was gonna send him a $50 offer.

I actually sent a question, asking what I was "missing", because he was selling a $75 computer for $25,000. I mentioned the Tracor serial number is either OEM, or seothign else, but it's not a Kaypro serial number.

Of course, no reply.

Tony

mbbrutman
October 29th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Somebody has to fix the title of this thread to make it readable. I can't translate the first word. If I can't translate it, other people can't either.

This forum is supposed to be a resource for people interested in maintaining, collecting restoring, etc. vintage machines. If it becomes unreadable, it loses it's value.

chuckcmagee
October 29th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Title has a typo - funny in itself - should be "phunny" I would imagine.

We'll have to get Tony and Tyger to "tow the lion" :^)

mbbrutman
October 29th, 2006, 05:56 PM
I don't know, so I'm not going to edit it. The thread starter should ask a moderator to fix it if they can't fix it themselves.

We shouldn't be having discussions like this. People need to spend more than 30 seconds thinking about what they are going to write.

Terry Yager
October 29th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Gee, Mike...I thought you knew how to do that. Do you phunnt know any alternanitives?

--T

Terry Yager
October 29th, 2006, 06:23 PM
I'm sorry, Lord...and bless the Pygmiez, etc...

--T

Sharkonwheels
October 29th, 2006, 06:27 PM
yeah...yeah...yeah...
It was SUPPOSED to be Phunny - spelling isn;t perfect at almost midnight.

Mike - if you would do the honors.... should be Phunny...
Wanna keep it half-normal, then just make it Funny fleaBay...

Tony

Terry Yager
October 29th, 2006, 06:32 PM
yeah...yeah...yeah...
It was SUPPOSED to be Phunny - spelling isn;t perfect at almost midnight.

Mike - if you would do the honors.... should be Phunny...
Wanna keep it half-normal, then just make it Funny fleaBay...

Tony

Yeah, I know...I often transpoze letterz. Phunny iz only one character away from Funny...

--T

carlsson
October 29th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Anyway, I suppose if the seller goes "$25,000 or landfill", there is not much to do than regret one more vintage computer ending its life at the city dump. You can plead how much you wish and raise your bid from $75 to $100, but if the seller has decided it will be sold expensively or not at all, that's it. We all see overpriced - but not that grossly overpriced - computer deals almost daily, people who have cleaned out the attic and found the old stuff they will convert into a nice weekend getaway. They refuse to let it go for less than its imagined value tag.

If some sellers, in particular on auction sites like eBay, have sock puppets that put in fake bids to make it look like the value has gone up; bad luck for the potential buyer who doesn't follow the value over a longer period but blindly trusts recent auctions. The rest of us probably can wait until a better priced item shows up. Other sellers who base their reservation price on these inflated auctions will after a while realize their mistake, and it slowly gets back to the buyer's market again.

Sharkonwheels
October 30th, 2006, 03:50 PM
...and THIS must be one of his cohorts:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-IBM-PC-XT-Hardware-Maintenance-and-Service-Manual-2_W0QQitemZ120045912221QQihZ002QQcategoryZ74946QQt cZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

And THIS is probably their cousin:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Epson-HX-20-Portable-Computer-w-CGP-115-Color-Printer-S_W0QQitemZ140047650727QQihZ004QQcategoryZ74947QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Tony

atari2600a
October 30th, 2006, 04:07 PM
You know, this reminds me of the time this one seller kept reposting these 800XL's w/ fried mobo's, until I PM'ed him that people would be more interested if he just said "being sold as-is" instead of giving a long description on how he fried them.

Terry Yager
October 30th, 2006, 04:23 PM
This has been relisted too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Fujitsu-Pencentra-130-tablet-handheld-PCs_W0QQitemZ320043439500QQihZ011QQcategoryZ18792Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I guess the seller decided not to send them to the scammers...

--T

apple2fan
October 30th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Just saw this. THAT IS REDICULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's 10x worse than the apple IIe for $6,100!
GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:!: :!: :!:
It's rare, but not 25k rare.

Sharkonwheels
October 30th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Yeaaaaaah. There's some SERIOUS crackheads on eBay.

My pet peeve, is some of these jerks post like 50 items in a row, all junk, for like a billion dollars, and it makes it difficult to scan the vintage area, becuase THEIR eBay buddies did the SAME stupidity!

Ya gotta navigate through 50 postings for $25 copies of a 1984 Byte magazine, or a $50 8080 chip, or a $30rubber ZX81 keyboard.....

Arrrgh!

Tony

Sharkonwheels
October 30th, 2006, 09:08 PM
$500 for an Apple ][ ?
You kidding me? Man! I tossed like 8-10 of these not even 3 years ago!

Dang! I had access to abut 75-100 of them, when the County School Board here unloaded TONS of AII, IIgs, and Compact Macs! Literally, it was about a 30-40,000 sqft warehouse overloaded with Apples, and at least 100-150 more were outside for lack of space!

I tearfully watched hundreds upon hundreds of II's get diced apart...
That 100gal garbage can had motherboards, that one had plastics, that one had drives....that one had chips....that one had cards...

Sad...

Obviously, they also were not taken apart gracefully.
Picture one of those Craftsman Pry Bar 2' long screwdrivers, and you'll be able to figure the rest out.

Can you say Proctologist ][?

Tony

apple2fan
October 31st, 2006, 04:00 AM
You threw away apple II's???!!!!
EVIL!!!!!
I've actually seen one go for $850, and another one with the original box went for $1,400!!!!
I got mine for $450.:D

atari2600a
October 31st, 2006, 06:37 AM
Calm down, for my Video Production teacher is the REAL sinner! He threw away numerous Apple Lisa's!!!!

Sharkonwheels
October 31st, 2006, 08:07 AM
'bout 2002-2003. Noone was interested, and I had no space.

Now, in 2000, I watched dozens upon dozens of ]['s get recycled.
About 250 ][+ machines, as well.

Sad, thinking back......

Tony

apple2fan
October 31st, 2006, 05:17 PM
Yea, I was just joking.:)
Lisa's getting thrown away? Last week I saw one go for $5,000 or some such. That's topping ridicules. Wasn't even that rare of a model!
What's really sad Is back in 1977, people traded in there apple 1's for apple II's, when the II's first came out. The 1's where rendered useless, and destroyed by apple them self's!!! Out of the 56 that went inn, 1 came out.:(
Only 200 where made. This Proves how rare they are today.
I wish I had one.:)

atari2600a
October 31st, 2006, 09:26 PM
Welcome to the "I wish I had an Apple I" club! :p

I'm devising a plan to get an apple Lisa 2:

Step 1: Buy a car
Step 2: Get a job & obtain paycheck
Step 3: Drive to San Jose & <strike>steal one of Eriks</strike> buy one off of Erik for 2K or something :p

...but seriously, I still can't believe my teacher did that!!!

EDIT: Damn HTML not working...*mumbles about vB*

Sharkonwheels
November 2nd, 2006, 07:50 AM
Yeah....But keep in mind - back then (Lisa timeframe) they were a HUGE flop and a HUGE embarrassment to Apple, not to mention they also had the *cough* apple 3 *cough* flop to contend with!

I can;t really blame 'em for landfillin' them Lisas - out of sight, out of mind!

Of course, nowadays, they're about as rare as a drug-free baseball player.

:eek:

Tony

atari2600a
November 2nd, 2006, 10:11 AM
Hey, there was still MacWorks!!! *mumbles about MacWorks*

curtis
November 2nd, 2006, 08:11 PM
Yeah....But keep in mind - back then (Lisa timeframe) they were a HUGE flop and a HUGE embarrassment to Apple, not to mention they also had the *cough* apple 3 *cough* flop to contend with!

I can;t really blame 'em for landfillin' them Lisas - out of sight, out of mind!

Of course, nowadays, they're about as rare as a drug-free baseball player.

:eek:

Tony

Here's another example of being 5 minutes too late.

When I was stationed in Hawaii, I went to a computer fleamarket. As I was walking in, a fellow was carting out an Apple III AND a Lisa I.

I walked in and commented on what I saw and how rare both items were. Another vendor there told me, the buyer paid $25 for the Apple III and was FORCED to take the Lisa or no deal!

I swear I nearly broke down and started crying right there on the spot.

sigh....

Kinda like buying a Ferrari for $50 and having to take a Porsche or no deal!

What can't I ever be that lucky? Oh, wait, I was! Bought 3 Sol 20's for $50 with documentation and a SWPTC printer.

Curtis

atari2600a
November 2nd, 2006, 08:18 PM
You should of tried to buy the Lisa off him!

apple2fan
November 4th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Here's another example of being 5 minutes too late.

When I was stationed in Hawaii, I went to a computer fleamarket. As I was walking in, a fellow was carting out an Apple III AND a Lisa I.

I walked in and commented on what I saw and how rare both items were. Another vendor there told me, the buyer paid $25 for the Apple III and was FORCED to take the Lisa or no deal!

I swear I nearly broke down and started crying right there on the spot.

sigh....

Kinda like buying a Ferrari for $50 and having to take a Porsche or no deal!

What can't I ever be that lucky? Oh, wait, I was! Bought 3 Sol 20's for $50 with documentation and a SWPTC printer.

Curtis

I feel for you brother. That's messed up.
That's like getting an apple 1 for $20!
I hope It turns out when ever he got home, and opened up the computers, that It was just the shell's of them!:)

curtis
November 4th, 2006, 12:15 PM
You should of tried to buy the Lisa off him!

At the time, I wasn't really interested in them. I was still a die hard CP/M and Amiga ONLY guy.

Hind sight is truly 20/20.

Curtis

Unknown_K
November 4th, 2006, 04:49 PM
If we never threw anything away and collected everything others threw out we would eventualy have things that come in handy and might even be worth something. The problem is where would we keep all the junk.

Terry Yager
November 5th, 2006, 06:21 AM
If we never threw anything away and collected everything others threw out we would eventualy have things that come in handy and might even be worth something. The problem is where would we keep all the junk.

Nah, it doesn't work that way. Junk only becomes useful to us after we've thrown it away. We'd only end up being buried under kipple, as kipple always drives out non-kipple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kipple

--T

apple2fan
November 5th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Nah, it doesn't work that way. Junk only becomes useful to us after we've thrown it away
So true!!!!!

EvanK
May 18th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Lisa's getting thrown away? Last week I saw one go for $5,000 or some such. That's topping ridicules. Wasn't even that rare of a model!

Although -- original Lisa 1 systems, working, with Twiggy, etc., really DO sell for 10-15K. That is legitimate.