PDA

View Full Version : Close to getting a Imsia 8080 but what about the Floopy Drives ?

car88fan2
September 29th, 2015, 12:08 PM
Hello all.

I'm mostly into Commodore computers as that is what I grew up with but have always been in love with the IMSIA 8080. Of course because of "War Games" movie. I am so close in acquiring one of these for some landscaping work in trade. The main question that I have is how available is the Dual 8" Floppy Drive that was used in the movie. I have not seen one on many auction sites at all. Just want to make a small setup like in the movie.

The computer I may get is in very good condition and am told is fully populated with other boards. No scratches on the case or front panel. Wish I had pictures right now, negotiating between my grandfather and his neighbor.

Anyone give some insight on the drives. If I can't get one I might just want to resell the 8080.

Al Kossow
September 29th, 2015, 01:29 PM
Anyone give some insight on the drives. If I can't get one I might just want to resell the 8080.

It is an IMSAI FDC2-2
http://www.imsai.net/movies/provenance.htm#walker_memo

car88fan2
September 29th, 2015, 01:42 PM
Sorry I should have been more clear. I know the model of the drive used and that inside the case they are Calcomp 142 8" Floppy Drives. I really need to know if anyone has ever seen any on the auction sites or at sales anywhere.?

snuci
September 29th, 2015, 02:09 PM
I have never seen an IMSAI FDC2-2 for sale in the last couple of years and I would love one too :)

IBM_User
September 29th, 2015, 02:15 PM
they are Calcomp 142

Nope, 140's which used the IFM/FIB Controller set and of course they were SS/SD only.
Later IMSAI changed to the 142 drives (DS/DD), that was mid to late '77 if memory serves and the PIO/PDS board set was used.
If you really want to use the 142 drives you need at least an 8085 or even better an Z-80 processor.

Just want to make a small setup like in the movie.

It isn't that easy to acomplish this, believe me, it took me several years and lots of money to get all that stuff!

car88fan2
September 29th, 2015, 05:52 PM
Nope, 140's which used the IFM/FIB Controller set and of course they were SS/SD only.
Later IMSAI changed to the 142 drives (DS/DD), that was mid to late '77 if memory serves and the PIO/PDS board set was used.
If you really want to use the 142 drives you need at least an 8085 or even better an Z-80 processor.

I was just going by what is written by the people who furnished the equipment for the movie at http://www.imsai.net/movies/wargames.htm

Thanks for the info. I will be going to see this guy in the next two weeks and see what other equipment he has. Who know he might have the Disk Drives also.

It isn't that easy to acomplish this, believe me, it took me several years and lots of money to get all that stuff!

I'm sure it did. But one main hurdle will be completed if I get the IMSIA 8088 just for the price of labor. I can certainly live with that ..

Beside the IMSAI8088, IMSAI FDC2-2, Keyboard, Monitor and Modem what else is there?

snuci
September 29th, 2015, 05:53 PM

Got a pic? I'd love to see it.

Moonferret
October 4th, 2015, 09:58 AM
Just spotted this on Ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IMSAI-Dual-8-floppy-subsystem-for-vintage-computers-like-Altair-8800-wargames-/221904505389?hash=item33aa8a0a2d

Price looks a little scary but If you really want matching IMSAI drives... :)

Cheers,
Dave