PDA

View Full Version : I am SO stupid!

carlsson
October 31st, 2006, 03:28 PM
I might be the most stupid person walking on this Earth.

Yesterday, my new computer arrived. It is an Asus Pundit P1-AH2 in parts, so I have to assemble it myself. The reason I chose this barebone system is because it has a rather small form factor; 91 mm thick, 357 mm tall, 275 mm deep.

Oh well. I have installed CPU, memory and was populating the drive bay. DVD writer first, then hard disk below it. Hmm, the hard disk doesn't align properly with the screw holes and it is not possible to push it into place. I tried to make the holes a bit bigger with a screwdriver, but it resulted in the hole pointed inwards to the cage.

To make a long story short, I had to use a metal cutter and cut all four holes open. The drive bay is nowhere near new anymore, but I suppose it is the price I will have to pay. Yet the drive didn't fit properly, so I had to manufacture make-shift washers to fit screws through.

Now I'm about to attach the drive bay back to the computer, and what do I notice? I have connected both DVD and hard disk backwards!

After turning the hard disk around, the original screw holes align perfectly; I don't even have to push it all way back. AAAAAARGH!

Interestingly, this computer came with IDE and SATA cables, but no screws to connect the devices that go into the drive bay. Oh well, I had a surplus since before.

http://www.anders.sfks.se/pics/drivebay.jpg

Terry Yager
October 31st, 2006, 04:39 PM
Nope, I'm dumber! I don't consider my week complete unless I do at least one thing upside down or backwards.

--T

80sFreak
October 31st, 2006, 04:42 PM
And you thought you weren't a case modder... ;)

I have done things like this where I work for a very long time straining to make something fit only to turn it around and find out it goes together easily.. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/vendion/1ptgno.gif

Cheers,

80sFreak

chuckcmagee
October 31st, 2006, 11:34 PM
I can hear Curtis now "Oh no, not my baby! I knew I shouldn't have sold it!" I bought a very nice AT&T Globalyst 200S from Curtis recently. I unpack it and turn it on. It turns on but nothing ever appears on the LCD screen. Ok, loose connection maybe, all that moving about! I start taking out screws. I reseat a few cables and the hard drive. While I'm doing all this, the case and motherboard are just sort of floating around. Hmmmm, I notice a small stream of smoke wafting around inside the case. Oh GREAT. I have managed to short something out while it's all apart. Later that night, I finally take it all apart. They have designed the power supply as a daughter board and it's turned upside down. No wonder, some metal in the case shorted against the board while I was moving things around. ONE TRANSISTOR is worse than burnt toast, it's BURNT SILICON. Okay, let's clean off what's left. I do all that, where the transistor was in now a cute black void. I put it all back together the second time - IT WORKS AGAIN!

Do you know they want $120 for that stupid little power supply board and very hard to find? I'm sure glad the computer didn't

REALLY NEED NO STINKING TRANSISTOR :cool:

chuckcmagee
October 31st, 2006, 11:46 PM
P.S.
A 486 DX4-75 (in the Globalyst) works PERFECT with that PX8VFS DOS software, read and write, just as I had hoped it would. Reason I purchased it in the first place.

apple2fan
November 1st, 2006, 03:57 AM
I've had A LOT of I'm stupid days here at my house!:cool:

carlsson
November 1st, 2006, 05:41 AM
Thanks for the support. :) I'm sure I've committed similar or worse mistakes before, but usually not with brand new hardware, never used. It will stay in place fine anyway, and upon powering it up, it was remarkably silent. Maybe I'm imspoiled (the reverse of spoiled?) by my somewhat noisy PC, partly due to I'm using an old 500 MB (no typo!) boot disk that adds a bit of noise. I will see in the long run, after installing the computer, how silent it really is. At least I will clear up a few inch of desk space. I could also try to clean my desk periodically, and free up even more space. :-D

The biggest question is whether I should try again to install one of my SoundBlaster Dead! cards into one of the two PCI expansion slots. The most recent one at least didn't freeze the computer, just didn't work with suitable drivers in Windows 98SE. Perhaps XP will work better. The barebone system of course already has audio, but I'm most concerned about a MIDI interface and perhaps hardware synth voices/soundfonts.

alexkerhead
November 3rd, 2006, 12:00 AM
I can hear Curtis now "Oh no, not my baby! I knew I shouldn't have sold it!" I bought a very nice AT&T Globalyst 200S from Curtis recently. I unpack it and turn it on. It turns on but nothing ever appears on the LCD screen. Ok, loose connection maybe, all that moving about! I start taking out screws. I reseat a few cables and the hard drive. While I'm doing all this, the case and motherboard are just sort of floating around. Hmmmm, I notice a small stream of smoke wafting around inside the case. Oh GREAT. I have managed to short something out while it's all apart. Later that night, I finally take it all apart. They have designed the power supply as a daughter board and it's turned upside down. No wonder, some metal in the case shorted against the board while I was moving things around. ONE TRANSISTOR is worse than burnt toast, it's BURNT SILICON. Okay, let's clean off what's left. I do all that, where the transistor was in now a cute black void. I put it all back together the second time - IT WORKS AGAIN!

Do you know they want $120 for that stupid little power supply board and very hard to find? I'm sure glad the computer didn't

REALLY NEED NO STINKING TRANSISTOR :cool:

I would try and find a proper transistor replacement from www.mouser.com
Transistors regulate the current to whatever they are in series with, without the transistors, too much current can be going into whatever is affected.

Many things work without transistors, but their life is severely shortened without it, too much current is bad.

chuckcmagee
November 3rd, 2006, 12:27 AM
Well, in this case, I *completely* removed the charred remains, leaving a *very open* circuit. Ain't no current flowin thru that puppy. It was a very tiny surface mount job, barely had room for the "1P" that I'm guessing was stamped on the top.

Mad-Mike
November 3rd, 2006, 03:24 AM
Oh the stories I could tell about doing hideous stuff to hardware. I remember the early versions of my "ATXT" machine looking pretty rough, particularly while I was still using the original backplane cut down.

I went through a backwards moment yesterday actually, though it was with software. I had to redo my whole Windows 2000 system partition because standby had caused it to lock up, and then anything involving the network connection stopped working. Anyway, I was re-installing The Sims, and in mid installation, one of the messages for the next CD popped up, and I idiotically clicked cancel thinking it was a pop-up ad (I was surfing the web at the same time to keep from falling asleep at that point). It ended up taking me till 4am and I wound up staying up all day yesterday as a result to clean the house and finish tweaking Windoze to taste, all because of one CD.

carlsson
November 3rd, 2006, 05:51 AM
Definition of really busy: When a computer nerd buys himself a new computer, but doesn't find a minute of time to install it within at least a week after it has arrived. At the moment, that definition fits me.

Rick Ethridge
November 4th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Want real fun? Try attempting to reinstall the monitor section of a TRS-80 Model 4 without watching the picture tube yoke. Blew TWO green screen tubes that way! The sound you hear is the monitor giving you a raspberry! Don't try this at home kids.

Rick "fumble fingers" Ethridge

carlsson
November 13th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Ah, I used a part of last week to install, and yesterday dragged over all files.

Maybe it is specific to this computer or generally required on Windows XP, but when I tried to install my oldish, parallel port HP LaserJet 6L, it refused to detect it for a long while. Manual install is futile. After a bit of fiddling, I found some settings in the device manager regarding whether the parallel port should use interrupts: never, avoid or always. Not until I changed the setting to "always", the printer was detected and possible to access. I suppose the same goes for if I try to install cbm4win and use my XE1541 cable. Maybe it helps someone with a recent XP computer that doesn't get their parallel port devices to work.

Edlin
November 29th, 2006, 05:35 PM
I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I've had my share of smoking computers and duck tape can look very professional...

My favorite story was from a guy who I had in my electronics class. He said he had found one of those big 12 volt square batteries (the kind that went in the old flashlight lanterns). Long story short, he didn't know if it was any good or not so decided to test it by putting his tongue on it, ended up on the floor and a loose tooth, now that's stupid! I love stupid.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing

Edlin
November 29th, 2006, 07:29 PM
See, I really am stupid, quack quack

wasted39
November 29th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Its not stupidity its the

ID10T error that gets me :eh:

carlsson
November 29th, 2006, 11:23 PM
install one of my SoundBlaster Dead! cards into one of the two PCI expansion slots.
"Tight fit" only begins to describe how difficult it was. The sound card is a few mm taller than the metal back plate. I managed to squeeze it into place into the lower of the two expansion slots; the upper was impossible. To connect external audio sources is out of the question. It does work OK though, in particular with Creative's own drivers. Dunno why it didn't work much at all in Windows 98SE (using compatible drivers).

I've had some problems with electricity lately; lightbulbs flashing, monitor keeps switching on and off (very irritating). My old PC would spontaneously reboot when this happened, but the new one seems to have a more resilient power supply, so it doesn't even hickup for power outages that are less than a half second.