PDA

View Full Version : Hackers, get a job!

carlsson
November 2nd, 2006, 03:46 AM
*sigh*

Another vintage related discussion forum I follow has been hacked, and the infantile people who did it decided to erase the whole system, including boot disk as far as I understand. The forum has been down for almost a week, and the admins in charge for the machine are not reachable for a little while. Some of the content will be able to pull from backups.

While I strongly condemn all forms of hacking, phreaking and whatever you call it, the evil side of me can kind of see any value of computer crime if money or other services are involved; steal bank account numbers, prohibit a competitor to run their business etc. But in this case, hacking a web site/server that has little or no commercial interest (depending if you count the buy, sell and auctions between the members, but it isn't something a malevous hacker can get a hand into anyway) is just lame. Proving a point, counting the number of servers you can bring down per week? How about getting a haircut and a job? The only "good" these people count for is to continiously increase the security barriers, patching any invulnaribilities and removing access to services not strictly cruicial.

The Internet and computing in general would become magnitudes better if these forms of pointless and illegal action could be prevented. But on the other hand, damage of other people's goods/services and pure criminality appear in almost all other parts of civilization, so why not computing? :-(

Vlad
November 2nd, 2006, 05:08 AM
How about getting a haircut and a job?

Hey! Whats hair length have to do with it? I have long hair but I'm not a hacker......

-VK

chuckcmagee
November 2nd, 2006, 05:12 AM
Boooo hooooo (sniff sniff) Hair? I remember having hair - beautiful CURLY brown! (sigh)

fxg
November 2nd, 2006, 05:49 AM
I think you'd better know more about the words you use. Hackers don't do that. Those are crackers. Read this (http://www.beemerworld.com/tips/hacker.htm) as a short guide...

Hackers have done a lot of good things. They made the networks work, we have email / web and a lot of other things to be thankful for. Crackers on the other hand...

The basic difference is this: hackers build things, crackers break them.

carlsson
November 2nd, 2006, 06:34 AM
fxg: I know the distinction, but to me there are good and evil of both kinds. The kind of hacker you describe relates to the age of mainframes and early timesharing, when using the university computer for anything else than scientific calculations probably was severe misuse. Today, I'm of the opinion that you can make a hack without necessarily being a hacker.
There are "friendly" crackers who not only remove the copy protection of a program, but also patch bugs - in the old days more than once a program (often a game) was reissued in a budget release, based on the cracked version but restored with original credits.

Regarding getting a haircut etc; I thought that is a well-known phrase, perhaps originating from the 50-60's.

Vlad
November 2nd, 2006, 06:43 AM
Oh, I remeber that. "Get a hair cut ya hippy!" hehe.....

-VK

Terry Yager
November 2nd, 2006, 08:06 AM
Oh, I remeber that. "Get a hair cut ya hippy!" hehe.....

-VK

Quit picking on Nige!

--T

80sFreak
November 2nd, 2006, 10:04 AM
Reminds me of a great George Thorogood song "Get A Haircut" http://home.arcor.de/cirith-ungol/sonstiges/icon_headbang.gif

Chorus:

Get a haircut and get a real job,
clean your act up and don't be a slob
Get it together like your big brother bob,
why don't you get a haircut and get a real job

Cheers,

80sFreak

atari2600a
November 2nd, 2006, 10:08 AM
What website was it?

nige the hippy
November 2nd, 2006, 11:27 AM
Quit picking on Nige!

--T

yES oUCH - Caps lock - oops

Vlad
November 2nd, 2006, 07:04 PM
I'm not picking on ya, I got pretty long hair myself. I kinda like that look myself.

Mad-Mike
November 3rd, 2006, 03:13 AM
Hey! Whats hair length have to do with it? I have long hair but I'm not a hacker......

-VK

I'll Second The Emotion - and note the computer in the distance.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c362/creepingnet2001/1274984651_l.jpg

UncleBinary
December 11th, 2006, 05:49 PM
I personally see 2 types of hacking.

1. Harmless hacking like displaying messages and have wierd pop-ups you know harmless stuff.

2.Seroius hacking like stealing bank acocunts,social security numbers you now ILLEGAL stuff like that.

number 1'ers help keep security up and are just a pest.number 2'ers made the red code virus and ****ed us up.I WANT to be a number 1'er so badly.

wasted39
December 11th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Most likely script kiddies, who get their kicks from taking down or messing up websites, then bragging about how many they did that week. As was posted before, hackers are generally good guys, who hack networks to make them more secure. See, the classes I am taking actually have taught me something:confused:

grant
December 12th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Any of the hacked boards run phpBB???

Terry Yager
December 12th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Black hat, white hat,
Who da Hell carez!
They're all a buncha luzerz,
Regardless of da hair!

Long, short, or bald,
What does it matter?
Ain't no use to worry,
It ain't gon git no better!

Old skool, or haxorz,
Whazzup wit' dat?
Got no time to play
Cauze it's my turn at bat!

I'm gon' kick yer azz
All ova cyberspace,
You'll be wanting to WARP out
Into hyperspace!

But all your hotkeyz
Have done gone cold.
And your punk-azz gimmick
Haz done got old!

I'm sick of playin'
All these script kiddie gamez.
When yer ready for some real action,
Jus' holla my name!

[Expletive Deleted]

--T

atari2600a
December 12th, 2006, 09:33 PM
On the #YTMND channel on EFNet, I was once talked to this poser hacker who claimed to be hacking my laptop. All he was doing was saying crap wasn't really doing anything. Since I never took the time to install a Linux distro on either my RiG or VirtualPC on my lappy, & I was lazy, I grabbed his IP & threatened to ping a giant packet to him or something. It doesn't matter what I said, he was obviosly h4xx0r-lingo illiterate. Also, I sent his IP to him as a sign that I know what I was talking about. He sent me an IP. My HOST SERVER'S IP!.:p

Why tell you this story? I don't know, I'm bored like that! (Plus I seem to be the village idiot around here, so I'm obliged to...)

Terry Yager
December 12th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Why tell you this story? I don't know, I'm bored like that! (Plus I seem to be the village idiot around here, so I'm obliged to...)

Hey, I'm a contender for that title! My joke izza 'Knock-Knock' joke. You start...

--T

carlsson
December 12th, 2006, 11:52 PM
grant: Yes, it is common that phpBB is vulnerable. Probably most of the free forum softwares have different security holes, but those very few use are not worth the effort to find out how to hack. Of course, an open source software gives the hacker a white box instead of a black box.

In the case of the forum I referred to in the beginning, it turned out that both disks, mirrored through RAID 1, had broken down simultaneously at the hack attack. Backups were a few weeks old too.

atari2600a
December 13th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Um...Knock Knock?

bbcmicro
December 13th, 2006, 07:23 AM
My joke izza 'Knock-Knock' joke. You start...Atari, are you a pre-emptive joke guesser? Otherwise you're going to find it hard going.

In the nicest possible way, you don't exactly have a clean haxxor slate...:D

lolz.

atari2600a
December 13th, 2006, 10:22 AM
I know, but I know enough to pWn n00bs on #ytmnd without even doing anything!:p