PDA

View Full Version : Rare Original TI-99/4 (NOT 4A) up for auction on EBay

HighVoltage
October 31st, 2015, 05:02 PM
I am selling my TI-99/4 computer on EBay. This is the "4" released in 1979 not the more common later "4a". It's in working condition.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Original-TI-99-4-Computer-1979-/191728308200?

roberttx
November 8th, 2015, 04:43 AM
Does the 4 use the same power supply as the 4A, or are they different?

Ksarul
November 12th, 2015, 03:17 AM
This is a question that can only be answered with: it depends. Some early 99/4 consoles with the internal speaker (and mostly distributed in Europe, from what I've been able to determine based on manufacturing date codes in the same range for machines I've located in the US which didn't have the speakers) used an external power supply with a DC output. There is a sliding volume control where the Solid State Software badge is normally placed in the cartridge slot. Using the later AC power supplies with these will do very bad things to the /4. Later /4 machines in Europe (and every one I've found that was sold in the US, manufactured as early as September 1979) used AC power supplies that fit into the standard range for 99/4A machines output-wise.

vwestlife
November 12th, 2015, 04:33 AM
Is the space bar on the 99/4 fake? Because I see it has a space key on the left of the keyboard.

roberttx
November 12th, 2015, 04:47 AM
This is a question that can only be answered with: it depends. Some early 99/4 consoles with the internal speaker (and mostly distributed in Europe, from what I've been able to determine based on manufacturing date codes in the same range for machines I've located in the US which didn't have the speakers) used an external power supply with a DC output. There is a sliding volume control where the Solid State Software badge is normally placed in the cartridge slot. Using the later AC power supplies with these will do very bad things to the /4. Later /4 machines in Europe (and every one I've found that was sold in the US, manufactured as early as September 1979) used AC power supplies that fit into the standard range for 99/4A machines output-wise.

Thanks. I asked because I've just got my hands on a couple of 99/4s. It will be a while before I get round to doing anything with them, but I'll check back in this forum before I do.

Ksarul
November 13th, 2015, 11:04 AM
Both the Space Bar and the Space Key work. It is one of the quirks of the 99/4 that it has two different keys that do that.