PDA

View Full Version : SCO Xenix 286?

NicolasF
November 2nd, 2006, 05:49 PM
Has anyone ever used or seen and O.S. called Xenix? a friend of mine gave me a lot of 5 1/4 disks and a lot of them say Xenix 286? I've never heard of it...

Terry Yager
November 3rd, 2006, 04:51 AM
Micro$oft's (and/or SCO) interpretation of Unix (System 3)...very desirable, although prob'ly useless unless you have the 'Installation Key' for 'em.

--T

NicolasF
November 6th, 2006, 06:42 AM
I've been trying to read the discs with DOS but all I get is a "General failure" error, so I asked a friend of mine about this and he told me that it's because the Xenix discs have a different format and that they cannot be read from DOS, so the question is what can I do to read them? does anyone know how to install it? :confused:

ahm
November 6th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Yes, you'd expect them to be in a non-DOS format.

The first thing you probably want to do is to make an image backup of each floppy with something like ImageDisk (http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/), just in case.

The act of installing Xenix will probably wipe out whatever is on your hard drive, so you may want to use a spare machine, or at least a spare hard drive for your experiment.

And finally, one of the floppies is probably bootable, and should start some sort of installation program. Past that, you're on your own. :-)

NicolasF
November 6th, 2006, 02:33 PM
It's not that easy... I tried copying the discs with that program and it didn't work... then I booted from one of the discs that says "Installation" and all I get is:

XENIX System V

Boot
:

:confused:

NicolasF
November 6th, 2006, 04:01 PM
OK! I found this: http://www.aux-penelope.com/xenix/index.htm

chuckcmagee
November 6th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Does that mean that you are "installing away" now?

NicolasF
November 6th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Does that mean that you are "installing away" now?

I don't understand... what does "installing away" mean??

chuckcmagee
November 6th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Means "Installing the software" as in "Did the web site help you to do the install now?"

NicolasF
November 6th, 2006, 05:34 PM
OK, I'll post the results of the installation once I've done it.

Mike Chambers
November 8th, 2006, 11:03 AM
does anybody know where i could get a copy of the xenix 286 disks? i've been looking for a decent unix operating system for my 286 machine, and that would be about perfect. also, are there any sort of IRC clients for that OS?