PDA

View Full Version : Cottonwood BBS

wiskow
November 2nd, 2006, 08:50 PM
After searching in vain for any dial-up Commodore BBS's that are still in operation and discovering, sadly, that there don't appear to be any left, I decided to bring mine back from the ashes...

So dust off your Commodore computer and modem, and call:

Cottonwood BBS
An authentic dial-up Commodore BBS
Running on Ivory BBS v3.3 software
Commodore 64 computer, Commodore 1670 modem,
Four 1541 disk drives.
Operating at 300/1200 baud, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Featuring sub-boards (message area), file transfers, text files, and a voting booth!
Plus... Real Commodore color and graphics, in all their immaculate glory! http://www.commodore.ca/forum/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif
(951) 571-2003
Located in Moreno Valley, California

Come and get a taste of what once was, and now is again! http://www.commodore.ca/forum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

-Andrew (aka Balzabaar - SysOp)

chuckcmagee
November 2nd, 2006, 09:17 PM
Neat! I'll have to try it as soon as I can figure out how to use the built in modem in the Tandy M100. I was wondering where in the modern world I could call at 300 or 1200 and not get booted off for "low connection speed". Almost all "ISP POP"s will boot you if you don't connect at a reasonable speed.

Terry Yager
November 2nd, 2006, 11:17 PM
AWW, RIGHT! 300 baud w/termcap!

--T

wiskow
November 3rd, 2006, 05:21 AM
Neat! I'll have to try it as soon as I can figure out how to use the built in modem in the Tandy M100. I was wondering where in the modern world I could call at 300 or 1200 and not get booted off for "low connection speed". Almost all "ISP POP"s will boot you if you don't connect at a reasonable speed.

Funny you should mention that... In the software I'm using, I can actually set it to allow 1200 baud only... So if anyone calls with a 300 baud modem, they'll be told that their modem speed is too slow. But I have that option turned off... 1200 AND 300 baud callers are all equally welcome. ;-)

Another intersting thing... For testing purposes, I called the BBS with my PC using a 56k bps modem, and the 1200 baud modem on my Commodore 64 actually connected faster than the PC, causing the BBS to launch before the PC was ready. The result was, the BBS asked if the PC wanted Commodore graphics, didn't get the correct response so assumed negative, then asked "Linefeeds? (y/n)" ... and THAT'S when the PC finally got its act together and connected. So from the PC end, it APPEARED that a connection was made, and nothing happened, while from the Commodore 64's end, it was waiting for a response. At that point, on the PC, if you press anything other than "Y", a negative response will be assumed, and you'll get no linefeeds. If you need them, which with HyperTerminal, you do, then things will look a little strange. However, once you get to the main menu, you can press "!" to toggle linefeeds on or off. Anyway... I just thought I'd share that little experience... I never thought I'd be able to say that my Commodore 64 was faster than my PC with a Pentium 4 processor at doing something... but now I can say, it is! ;-)

-Andrew

atari2600a
November 3rd, 2006, 12:27 PM
Remember, today's processors are designed more for multitasking. (hyperthreading, etc...)

Mike Chambers
November 3rd, 2006, 01:17 PM
i love you.

i no longer have any commodores though... i did have a C64 back in the day. i would be able to dial up using hyperterminal just fine, wouldn't i?

maybe i'll stick an old modem in my 8088 or a 286 and run procomm plus for a more authentic experience :)

chuckcmagee
November 3rd, 2006, 02:25 PM
I tried it out with one of my M100s and a modem. The line noise made it basically unusable :cry: I would get the "no linefeeds" deal you talk about and I would be hard pressed to get any kind of keyboard input through. I called back a few times but gave up. I guess with my cruddy phone lines and no error correction, just ain't gonna work.

wiskow
November 3rd, 2006, 02:49 PM
i no longer have any commodores though... i did have a C64 back in the day. i would be able to dial up using hyperterminal just fine, wouldn't i?

HyperTerminal in Windows works just fine to access the BBS in ASCII mode. That's what I used to test it remotely, since I don't have another Commodore computer to test it with. However, to get the full Commodore color and graphics experience, you'll need Commodore hardware... for now, anyway. Golan Klinger wrote "CGTerm", which operates under Windows and emulates a C64 terminal program to access Commodore BBS's via Telnet. Since I brought my BBS back online, he's said he may rewrite the program to dial out with a modem as well. I hope he does! :-)

-Andrew

Mike Chambers
November 3rd, 2006, 04:00 PM
i'm gonna dial into your bbs later tonight. i have a feeling my long distance bill is going to suck this month.

Mike Chambers
November 3rd, 2006, 04:03 PM
HyperTerminal in Windows works just fine to access the BBS in ASCII mode. That's what I used to test it remotely, since I don't have another Commodore computer to test it with. However, to get the full Commodore color and graphics experience, you'll need Commodore hardware... for now, anyway. Golan Klinger wrote "CGTerm", which operates under Windows and emulates a C64 terminal program to access Commodore BBS's via Telnet. Since I brought my BBS back online, he's said he may rewrite the program to dial out with a modem as well. I hope he does! :-)

-Andrew

i just looked at CGterm... awesome little program. i'm sure he'll never rewrite it, so just in case i think i'll write a little modem to TCP forwarder for windows so you can just put 127.0.0.1 port 23 into CGterm to connect.

Mad-Mike
November 3rd, 2006, 04:53 PM
Does machine type matter, I'm almost tempted to try this on my hot-rod XT which just so happens to have a 2400 Baud internal Hayes modem in it.

Mike Chambers
November 3rd, 2006, 05:53 PM
does anybody have the data format for the commodore 64 terminal?

i would love to make my own C64 terminal emulator with both modem and TCP/IP support... i'd make it for DOS, windows, and probably linux too so that everybody can use it :)

it'd be great for dialing into andrew's BBS!

wiskow
November 4th, 2006, 04:53 AM
Does machine type matter, I'm almost tempted to try this on my hot-rod XT which just so happens to have a 2400 Baud internal Hayes modem in it.

The BBS is dedicated to faithful Commodore users everywhere... but of course, users of all computers are most certainly welcome!

As one other member here pointed out, there have been some line noise issues, which I'm about to post a new thread about. But feel free to try calling in... The more callers I get from more places, the more I'll be able to troubleshoot and narrow down the problem...

-Andrew

chuckcmagee
November 4th, 2006, 04:57 AM
Oh good, glad ONE person read my post anyway :shock:

greenmeanie
November 6th, 2006, 09:21 AM
I know there are lots of CNET bbs's that you can telnet to still.

wiskow
November 6th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Just wanted to let everyone here know what the current status is with my BBS. Due to line noise issues, I've had to take the BBS offline until I can get a newer modem with v.42 error correction. I bought a 2400 baud Hayes compatible modem with v.42 on eBay today, so it should be here in about a week. I'm also in negotiations for an RS-232 interface cable for my Commodore 64, but if anyone out there has one that they're not using, it'd help me out a lot if you wouldn't mind sending it to me. Anyway, as soon as my hardware gets updated and I can get the BBS back online, I'll post again to let everyone know. This is a work in progress, so I hope you'll all bear with me...

Oh, and since I have it down, I've decided to fiddle around with the Color 64 v7.37 BBS software, so that's most likely what I'll be running instead of Ivory when I get it back online. If anyone is interested in being a "beta tester" for me, please let me know privately by e-mailing me at drewbrasil@yahoo.com.br (drewbrasil@yahoo.com.br) ...

Thanks again for your patience and understanding! :-)

-Andrew

80sFreak
November 7th, 2006, 05:58 AM
I'm also in negotiations for an RS-232 interface cable for my Commodore 64, but if anyone out there has one that they're not using, it'd help me out a lot if you wouldn't mind sending it to me.

Don't you mean a cartridge like the SwiftLink or Turbo-232?

Cheers,

80sFreak

wiskow
November 7th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Don't you mean a cartridge like the SwiftLink or Turbo-232?

If I can get one of those, that'd be great, but if I can get a standard RS-232 interface for the user port, then that should work too for a 2400 baud modem...

-Andrew

80sFreak
November 28th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Any progress with getting your BBS back online? I just found some of my C= modems and would love to try it out sometime. I use Vonage for my telephone service.

Cheers,

80sFreak

Mike Chambers
November 28th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Any progress with getting your BBS back online? I just found some of my C= modems and would love to try it out sometime. I use Vonage for my telephone service.

Cheers,

80sFreak

i'd like to try it out, too. let us know when it's ready!

chuckcmagee
November 28th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Yep, my screaming 14,400 baud internal NEC Versa 2000C modem is waiting patiently also.