PDA

View Full Version : IRC Chat?

80sFreak
November 3rd, 2006, 06:16 PM
Has anybody thought of (or has it already been discussed?) of having an IRC chat once a week (or month) at a set time where we talk about vintage computers (or wherever the chat may lead)?

Sometimes I think some of the threads on here may be better suited to real-time chat... And it could be fun! :) Plus the chat may start some new threads that otherwise wouldn't have happened...

Just a thought......

Cheers,

80sFreak

chuckcmagee
November 3rd, 2006, 06:24 PM
Too many time zones, I think. It's like 5 am in Western Europe now :confused:

Mike Chambers
November 3rd, 2006, 06:41 PM
you know, i run an IRC server full time it was for another website but nobodys logged on for like 5 months lol.

i'd gladly rededicate it to the official Vintage Computer Forums site if there is interest. i host it on my pentium 3 / 650 mhz(overclocked to 910 WOOT) linux box (debian 3.1)

80sFreak
November 3rd, 2006, 06:46 PM
True, but the #c64friends starts at 9PM EST Saturday nights and it gets about 10-20+ people, lasting till 'bout midnight..

Cheers,

80sFreak

chuckcmagee
November 3rd, 2006, 06:46 PM
Yep, those slower speed coppermines overclock well. Not so with the 1.0Ghz and the 1.13Ghz. I got tired of trying to OC the fast ones and put them back to the official speeds. Too unstable.

80sFreak
November 3rd, 2006, 06:49 PM
you know, i run an IRC server full time it was for another website but nobodys logged on for like 5 months lol.

That sucks.. :( What was it about?

i'd gladly rededicate it to the official Vintage Computer Forums site if there is interest. i host it on my pentium 3 / 650 mhz(overclocked to 910 WOOT) linux box (debian 3.1)

Then we just need to set the day and time and then see what happens... !

Cheers,

80sFreak

80sFreak
November 3rd, 2006, 06:51 PM
gee, it's almost like chat now.. ;)

atari2600a
November 3rd, 2006, 06:51 PM
If my router didn't suck I'd be hosting a Ventrilo server...

Mike Chambers
November 3rd, 2006, 06:58 PM
That sucks.. :( What was it about?

to be honest, i'm not entirely sure lol... just some kind of general place to chat i guess. a buddy of mine asked if i could do that, and since i already ran my linux box full time to host files on my LAN i figured it wouldnt hurt to install ircdhybrid (or hybridircd or whatever it is.. i forget) and the services package for it.

Then we just need to set the day and time and then see what happens... !

well, no need for that really... we could always just leave it open 24/7 for hanging out/chatting about vintage comps/idling whenever people feel like dropping in. :)

Mike Chambers
November 3rd, 2006, 07:07 PM
Yep, those slower speed coppermines overclock well. Not so with the 1.0Ghz and the 1.13Ghz. I got tired of trying to OC the fast ones and put them back to the official speeds. Too unstable.

yeah, back in like 2000 when i got it, my friend and i always competed with each other buying computers... (we still kind of do)

he had just gotten a pentium 3 / 833 MHz(i think it was 833) when i had just gotten that 650 MHz pentium 3 to out-do me. so i decided to tweak the clocking and figured out it ran totally stable at 910 lol.

he tried overclocking his to beat mine, but he couldnt even get it to be totally stable at 866.

if it is at all possible to pronounce an emoticon, i'm pretty sure i heard him say ": ("

atari2600a
November 3rd, 2006, 07:09 PM
<offtopic>Tried raising the voltage? or was this a heat issue?</offtopic>

80sFreak
November 3rd, 2006, 07:10 PM
well, no need for that really... we could always just leave it open 24/7 for hanging out/chatting about vintage comps/idling whenever people feel like dropping in. :)

But if you have a set date/time then we would probably get more people then if it were just chat whenever... It is not like there is a whole lot of us!

Cheers,

80sFreak

Vlad
November 3rd, 2006, 07:39 PM
This was discussed a really long time ago. I ran a chat room at one point, but I think me and mbbrutman were the only ones to ever use it. Its a cool idea, but I no longer run my own server. I'd like to see one comeback....

-VK

Mike Chambers
November 3rd, 2006, 07:53 PM
But if you have a set date/time then we would probably get more people then if it were just chat whenever... It is not like there is a whole lot of us!

Cheers,

80sFreak

that's a good point actually. well, how should we go about finding a good time then? i wonder where most people here are located... USA times zones, western europe, eastern europe, asia, japan, etc...

hmmm, this could be difficult.

Mike Chambers
November 3rd, 2006, 08:04 PM
okay, well i've got the server all ready if anybody wants to log on.

hostname is retrobox.scieron.com port 6667

the channel to join is #vc

i guess we can go from here :)

ahm
November 3rd, 2006, 08:23 PM
Well, I'm already idling on one server.
Another one can't hurt :)

atari2600a
November 3rd, 2006, 09:53 PM
Well, that was freaking awesome! Hope to log on regularly...

sirpaul484
November 3rd, 2006, 10:26 PM
I missed a vintage computing IRC chat? darn... hopefully there will be a set time so I could be able to chat to some of you guys without it being full of lurkers

Mike Chambers
November 4th, 2006, 12:37 AM
Well, that was freaking awesome! Hope to log on regularly...

yeah that was fun, and i'm sure there will be more of us next time too. maybe erik can find the average most active time of the day for forum usage so we can schedule something. erik you there? :)

Erik
November 4th, 2006, 08:03 AM
I don't have the resolution on my board statistics/logs to determine what times of the day are the most popular.

The website ones might apply, but then they might not. :)

I'd suggest picking a time that is convenient for most of the timezones served by the boards and doing the chat regularly so people get used to when it is. . .

80sFreak
November 4th, 2006, 05:14 PM
GO CHAT IRC NOW! :)

Cheers,

80sFreak

mbbrutman
November 4th, 2006, 05:51 PM
I second the motion .. IRC is alive and well.

retrobox.scieron.com

Mike Chambers
November 4th, 2006, 06:19 PM
I second the motion .. IRC is alive and well.

retrobox.scieron.com

glad to see everybody having fun there! :)

i can't join right now, i'm not even on my home computer and about to go leave to somewhere but i was just checking in on the forums.

80sFreak
November 4th, 2006, 06:38 PM
10 PRINT "IRC CHAT IS GOOD, I MUST GO THERE NOW!"
20 GOTO 10

RUN

Cheers,

80sFreak

atari2600a
November 4th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Man, when someone starts a BBS, the thread & (assumingly) the BBS last for a few days, but I think this IRC server Mike has going will last for a while!

<off topic>I might be able to set up a Ventrilo server at my other house, on a hardwired-LAN computer that's on 24/7! More to come on Monday...</offtopic>

carlsson
November 5th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Does anyone remember that for a short while, Erik set up a JavaScript based chat on this page? As far as I remember, the traffic was meager, to phrase it kindly. Eventually he closed it down, as nobody used it.

atari2600a
November 9th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Is it me, or has no one logged on in a while? Every time I logged on in the last few days, there was no one there...

chuckcmagee
November 9th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Like I said originally, too many timezones. This forum deal works so much better. The Europe crowd gets on about 2-4 am my time. The next day I get to read what they had to say.

80sFreak
November 10th, 2006, 05:17 PM
like, go chat now! :)

Cheers,

80sFreak

80sFreak
November 11th, 2006, 04:50 PM
IRC can be fun and enlightening if people would come and chat!

Cheers,

80sFreak

80sFreak
November 17th, 2006, 04:56 PM
What happened to retrobox.scieron.com ? I keep getting "No ident response" and then it just hangs there.. http://img90.exs.cx/img90/2365/k1ocray.gif

Cheers,

80sFreak

Mike Chambers
November 18th, 2006, 11:50 AM
What happened to retrobox.scieron.com ? I keep getting "No ident response" and then it just hangs there.. http://img90.exs.cx/img90/2365/k1ocray.gif

Cheers,

80sFreak

ftw? it should only hang there for like 20 or 30 seconds if that... and only if you dont have an identd server running on your box.

80sFreak
November 18th, 2006, 05:30 PM
IRC is always good on a Sat nite! ;)

Cheers,

80sFreak

ahm
December 15th, 2006, 01:06 PM
I dunno. It's pretty good on a Friday nite too, isn't it?

Mike Chambers
December 15th, 2006, 02:23 PM
i'm hanging out in the channel with leetIRC from my 286 :)

hopefully it gets chatty there tonight, since its a friday.

ahm
February 3rd, 2007, 05:01 PM
Do Saturdays work anymore?

UncleBinary
February 3rd, 2007, 05:48 PM
I really don't know the first thing about an IRC chat but when i went to the site it said "No." and thats it.Is that normal?I viewed the source and this is it "<html>No.</html>".So uhh wahts wrong with it?Sorry for my absent brain its only 9:49 pm, but im tired. :yawn:

ahm
February 3rd, 2007, 06:05 PM
Use an IRC client, not a web browser.

UncleBinary
February 3rd, 2007, 06:07 PM
I believe I mentioned im tired.Where do I get a IRC client?Never used one before.

ahm
February 3rd, 2007, 06:16 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IRC_clients

If you're that tired, go to sleep.

UncleBinary
February 3rd, 2007, 06:46 PM
With about a month of work and a bit of tweaking and preferences I could make my own IRC chat server with my computer with Just Basic.But I know it would only work with Windows becuase it would use Windows messenger.If I could get a free copy of Liberty Basic I could have it done it 2-3 weeks.

ahm
February 4th, 2007, 09:50 AM
During that month, if you feel like taking a break...
Some of us get together on Mike's server on Friday or Saturday nights
(US time, although the server seems to be up all the time anyway).

Server: retrobox.scieron.com
Channel: #vc
(Use the same userid you use here on the forum)

UncleBinary
February 4th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Ive never been in a IRC chat but im guessing its like a chatroom and what IRC client do I have to have?I dont have one yet.Im free from 9:30-11 pm everyday and throughout the week.

ahm
February 4th, 2007, 11:42 AM
It doesn't matter what IRC client you use. Just pick one that works with your operating system.
(see the link I posted above)
Personally, I run Linux and use a client called BitchX (really).

Fire up your client, set your username to be the same as your ID here (so we recognize you),
connect to Mike's server and join the #vc channel. Piece of cake.

UncleBinary
February 4th, 2007, 12:23 PM
What is the name of the server?

Mike Chambers
February 4th, 2007, 07:53 PM
With about a month of work and a bit of tweaking and preferences I could make my own IRC chat server with my computer with Just Basic.But I know it would only work with Windows becuase it would use Windows messenger.If I could get a free copy of Liberty Basic I could have it done it 2-3 weeks.

i actually wrote an IRC server in quickbasic 7.1 that works (as ahm has seen for himself:D ) but i dont really have any DOS machine set up permanently right now and i just run ircd-hybrid on a p233 linux box since i know thats gonna be stable...

the QB server was just a boredom-induced project more than anything.

Mike Chambers
February 5th, 2007, 06:20 PM
btw having hostname issues again... connect with 68.184.216.98 i'm going to set up a different hostname elsewhere.

Vlad
February 6th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Server chat stuff moved to the Off Topic section.

-Vlad

sirpaul484
February 8th, 2007, 10:02 PM
hmm... I've been having trouble connecting using any address... oh well...

carlsson
February 9th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Some of us get together on Mike's server on Friday or Saturday nights (US time, although the server seems to be up all the time anyway).

Server: retrobox.scieron.com
Channel: #vc
(Use the same userid you use here on the forum)
Unless I've already gone to sleep by then, maybe I'll try to check it out toníght. Is that Friday evening on the East or West coast? 8 PM EST is like 2 AM over here, while 8 PM PST would be more like 5 AM.

80sFreak
February 9th, 2007, 07:20 AM
On the East coast...

Cheers,

80sFreak

ahm
February 9th, 2007, 07:41 AM
It looks like Mike's server is down.
I guess that's what I get for saying it's usually up.

dongfeng
February 9th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Yup, looks like it is down for me too.

carlsson
February 9th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Ah well, no need to stay awake through the night then. :-P

ahm
February 11th, 2007, 01:03 PM
It's back.
I'll be chilling there for a while.

Mike Chambers
February 11th, 2007, 01:14 PM
sorry guys the box it was running on crapped out and had buffering issues on eth0 but i switched it to a new machine w/ a new NIC!

DoctorPepper
February 12th, 2007, 02:53 AM
I'd be game to give it a try, although I wouldn't be able to log-in until fairly late on Saturdays.

Unless I can get an irc chat client for my Nokia N800, and I can persuade my friend to open those ports on his firewall...

ahm
February 16th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Some of us are idling on the channel.
Perhaps I will be hither (or yon).

ahm
February 16th, 2007, 05:42 PM
I guess we killed it :-(

mbbrutman
February 16th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Uh guys, how about switching to a real IRC network? This is cute, but it behaves more like a submarine - it is down more often than it is up. ;-)

ahm
February 17th, 2007, 05:08 PM
I find it useful to treat it less like a telephone and more like ham radio:
If I happen to get somebody, bonus!

I'm back on Mike's server, until the next "ionic storm".

ahm
February 23rd, 2007, 04:29 PM
CQ CQ
I should be around after dinner if anyone wants to play "text radio" :-)

ahm
March 31st, 2007, 05:24 PM
Okay, I've given up and moved to Gimp Net.

Servers: irc.us.gimp.net (USA), irc.eu.gimp.net (Europe), irc.gimp.net (random)
Same channel: #vc
Set your IRC nick to be the same as your forum name (so we know who you are).

Most of the action seems to happen on Friday and Saturday night.
And give us more than 30 seconds to reply before deciding there's no one on.

Legodude522
April 15th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Sweet, added the IRC. Hope to have some chats. :)