PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba CD drive faceplate compatibility

Chuck(G)
December 14th, 2015, 01:11 PM
I've got a Toshiba Infinia desktop system here (Intel AN430TX mobo P1 266) that uses a Toshiba XM-5102B IDE CDROM drive that works, but not with all OS. In particular, neither Debian nor NetBSD can see it, although Windows98SE does just fine. Other CD drives work perfectly.

I get no hints off the web about why the BSD/Linux drivers don't see it.

So, I was thinking that it'd be simplest to replace the drive with another one. The gotcha is that the Toshiba unit doesn't have a faceplate and replaces the drawer faceplate with one tailored to the case. So the replacement has to be a Toshiba.

I can see a lot Samsung-Toshiba DVD+CD drives going pretty cheap and it would be nice to have a DVD drive on this system. However, I can't determine if a Toshiba XM-type drawer face will fit on a ST drive.

Does anyone have any clues?

Unknown_K
December 14th, 2015, 08:54 PM
I can't seem to find the drive using google (looking for a picture of the front). You probably need to find another XM drive for the faceplate to fit.

As far as seeing the drive are you talking about a working OS seeing the drive (with the correct drivers installed) or do you mean just booting an OS CD?

Chuck(G)
December 14th, 2015, 09:13 PM
Booting is no problem at all. But when Debian or NetBSD loads, no drive is found at all. Plug a different drive in and things are fine. Windows 9x and DOS have no problems with it.

I've got an XM-6102B in my stash, but it's suffering from terminal plastic gears syndrome. While it was working, it had no problems either.

NeXT
December 15th, 2015, 12:04 AM
Now you see why I refuse to use Linux anymore.
The patchy hardware support these days is absurd.

Plasma
December 15th, 2015, 08:58 AM
Lol. In general Linux certainly supports more hardware than Windows 9x. It is very strange that a straight ATAPI CD-ROM drive doesn't work though. Possibly something related to PIO vs DMA modes?