PDA

View Full Version : Imsai vdp 80

3pcedev
January 10th, 2016, 01:18 PM
Hi all,

My cousin (who is also sort of into vintage computers) picked up a heap of Apple II stuff the other day. The seller also had another computer in very rough condition that he didn't recognise which got thrown in the deal at the last minute.

I took a look at a photo he sent me and it looks to be an IMSAI VDP 80 (all in one with the screen).

This thing is in very rough condition. It looks like its full of insect nests, dead bugs, dirt, you name it. My question is will it be worth fixing this thing up? Does it have any monetary value at all? Is it an interesting system? My vintage knowledge and interest stops at the TRS80 so I am unfamiliar with IMSAI etc.

glitch
January 10th, 2016, 01:31 PM
Insect mess is usually much easier to recover from than say, mouse mess or severe water damage. It depends on just how bad it is, and how much of a project you want, as to whether it's worth saving.

3pcedev
January 10th, 2016, 01:34 PM
I probably wouldn't keep it myself; I don't have any 8" floppy disks or drives to create media with.

It looks like it's going to need some IC's replaced. Along with the insects it may have been damp; it's hard to say from the photos. I'll know more when I see it in person at some point.

IBM_User
January 10th, 2016, 02:16 PM
I might be interested, but shipping will be expensive as hell, I think.

I'll send you a PM in a minute.