PDA

View Full Version : Seagate ST-412 MFM Hard Drive - IBM 5160 - Squealing

Smack2k
January 12th, 2016, 05:57 PM
I booted up my 5160 tonight in a cold garage (its like 15 outside in Pittsburgh) as I was going to try and low level format the drive and see how if I could then get DOS on it, but on boot, after a few seconds, the drive started squealing while it was spinning. It never ceased up or stopped, just kept doing it until I shut the machine down.

Could the cold have contributed to it? Is there something I can do? I have heard about cleaning / lubing some parts on the drive, but I dont know what and how to do it. Or is the drive dead? It never squealed before in all the tests I was doing to get to this point.

NeXT
January 12th, 2016, 06:00 PM
It's just the lube in the bearings. Not much you can do.

Smack2k
January 12th, 2016, 06:23 PM
No way to address the issue or fix it?

Why in the cold?

glitch
January 12th, 2016, 06:29 PM
I have a Seagate Wren II that would do that when it was cold -- once it got warm enough, it would only do it on startup, but in the winter it was maddening. It turned out to be the ground contact pad/brush on the bottom of the spindle. At least on the Wren II, it's a little graphite pad on a piece of spring copper that presses against the bottom of the spindle shaft, on the bottom side of the drive. Mine had gotten dirty and the lubricant had turned to greasy grime, so I cleaned it off with WD-40 and added a drop of some oil or another (probably 3-in-1 motor oil). Problem solved!

modem7
January 12th, 2016, 11:54 PM
An earlier related thread is [here (http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?24710-ST412-bearing-trouble)].

Smack2k
January 13th, 2016, 03:37 AM
Thanks modem7, going through that thread, and I can give that try...

There is a photo missing from the thread that I think goes over how to take the bottom of the HDD apart to get to the channel that can take the WD-40 or other lubricant. What is the proper way to access that?

modem7
January 13th, 2016, 09:52 PM
There is a photo missing from the thread that I think goes over how to take the bottom of the HDD apart to get to the channel that can take the WD-40 or other lubricant. What is the proper way to access that?
There is definitely a photo missing. Maybe it was on my old web site (now decommissioned).

All that the missing photo showed, was the underside of the ST-412 after the printed circuit board had been removed. So, a photo very much like the one at [here (http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/misc/repaired_ST412.JPG)]. Now that you have a photo, refer back to post #8 in the thread that I pointed you to.

Smack2k
January 14th, 2016, 05:18 AM
Appreciate the help again modem7...will let you know how it goes....

It was way to cold in my garage last night to even try booting up the machines. I am putting some heating in there today so I can slowly warm it up each evening before I go down to work on things...

Trixter
January 14th, 2016, 11:22 AM
Just be mindful of condensation (ie. transitioning the temperature too quickly, likely moving an ice-cold system into your house).

Stone
January 14th, 2016, 11:50 AM
Just be mindful of condensation (ie. transitioning the temperature too quickly, likely moving an ice-cold system into your house).There is virtually no ambient moisture, either outside or inside, this time of year, with the temperature so low. Cold air like we are experiencing now is normally very, very dry.

Trixter
January 14th, 2016, 11:52 AM
Yes, but some people run humidifiers during winter months.

Stone
January 14th, 2016, 01:18 PM
Humidifiers don't make the air damp or humid. They just make it barely tolerable this time of year for us humans. :-) No humidifier is able to simulate the summer's dog days with respect to the moisture content of the air in a building. Would you like me to send you a sling psychrometer so you can verify this for yourself in your own house?