PDA

View Full Version : Windows 1 & 2 mouse driver

1ST1
January 23rd, 2016, 02:10 PM
Hello,

today I installed Windows 1 and 2 on my Olivetti M24 (with attached keyboard mouse) and ATARI PC 3. The Olivetti was no problem at all, both Windows veterans offered everything for AT&T 6300 / M24 so it runs just fine as far as one can says this for these early versions. (they are far away from GEM functionality, except for task switching).

The ATARI PC3 with it's propriatary mouse port for the ATARI ST mouse seems to be a bigger challenge, both versions don't have a build in driver for this mouse. It also seems not to be possible to just use a loaded native DOS mouse driver. So what to do? I have the ATARI mouse driver, there is a COM file to run manually or from autoexec.bat, there is a SYS file to load from config.sys, both are working fine in DOS, and there is a DRV file. Is it maybe that one? How to include it?

krebizfan
January 23rd, 2016, 02:24 PM
Take a look at the DRV file. Does it include a "this program requires Microsoft Windows" block of text? If so and if it is dated before 1990, it is likely to be a Windows 1 or 2 mouse driver.

I think if you copy the MOUSE.DRV file to the Windows directory it should work though you may have to alter WIN.INI. Sorry, I am not in front on the Windows 2 setup I have so I may be mistaken on some of this.

Edit: Nope, that was the Win 3 method. There is a mouse.drv on the install disks of Windows 2 but I don't remember how it gets bundled in the system.

Edit 2: Looks like the Setup program should do it.