PDA

View Full Version : Success story - PC Pro Turbo XT Clone

bobba84
February 4th, 2016, 05:25 PM
Hi guys,

Just wanted to celebrate getting an XT going that I picked up for $10 at a PC recycling place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LRj5vF0a1A

I had a bit of a frustrating time getting it going, thinking the board was dead, trying to decipher POST card status etc, when a firm press on a few RAM chips was the only issue stopping it POSTing!
It also had a dead floppy controller, and the bottom head on the Miniscribe 20MB HDD appears to be quite sad, so I changed the MFM controller to see only 2 heads instead of 4, giving it 10MB formatted.
I also used the 8-bit VGA card I found at a local electronics shop!

Bobby.

SpidersWeb
February 4th, 2016, 05:55 PM
On XT class machines POST cards are generally useless - the code to write the messages (instead of random garbage) wasn't really added until AT generation machines.

Nice job and nice machine :D It's always a great feeling when you first see that boot up screen! I always have this big surprise moment like I've just won the lotto.

jmetal88
February 5th, 2016, 02:07 AM
On XT class machines POST cards are generally useless - the code to write the messages (instead of random garbage) wasn't really added until AT generation machines.

Although the PCjr had a POST code output for some reason.

1ST1
February 5th, 2016, 02:26 AM

For generic XT and it's clones that might be true, but as usual, there are exceptions...

Olivetti M24, AT&T 6300, Xerox 6060 and Logabax Persona 1600 and all other Olivetti PCs used to have build in POST-diagnostics over the parallel port (onboard LPT1), you just have to have such a plug like these (the two digits one is enough) (http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xpost+diag nose+parallelport+olivetti.TRS0&_nkw=post+diagnose+parallelport+olivetti&_sacat=0) and you can debug these machines.