PDA

View Full Version : Fluke 9010A

channelmaniac
February 5th, 2016, 06:47 AM
Anyone use these in repairing old gear?

I have one I use for testing and repairing old systems when they are being stubborn and it kicks butt. :)

I've started a thread over on the KLOV forums documenting some repairs and the hybrid input protection modules that I'm working to reverse engineer.

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=367387

Raymond

dave_m
February 5th, 2016, 08:31 AM
Anyone use these in repairing old gear?

Hi Raymond,
I have one with a 6502 Pod that I have connected to a Commodore PET. I really like the bus test that checks the integrity of the the data bus, the RAM test is good, but the real value with working on a PET is the ROM test. I programmed the Fluke to do a separate sum-check on each 4K ROM and can quickly find the bad one that prevents the PET from booting up.

The Pod self-test 40 pin ZIF socket now has a broken contact. How difficult is that going to be to replace? I bought a working unit and have never opened my 9010A or Pod.

BTW, how is your supply of 2532 EPROMs in your web store? I may need some more.
-Dave

gslick
February 5th, 2016, 08:49 AM
I have a 9010A (or maybe two, I can remember if I sold one to a friend a while back) and several PODs. Probably at least one of the PODs has a broken pin or two on the DIP plug for the target system. I have wondered if you could just swap cables between different PODs. From your posts on the other thread it looks like that doesn't work. Guess I would need to figure out a different way to repair a broken pin on one of the DIP plugs.

NeXT
February 5th, 2016, 08:54 AM
Good lord those things cost a fortune.

gslick
February 5th, 2016, 08:59 AM
Good lord those things cost a fortune.

If you look at eBay recently they do seem rather expensive. I paid a lot less when I got mine a few years ago. Maybe it's time to sell any spares I might have.

channelmaniac
February 11th, 2016, 05:59 PM
Hi Raymond,
I have one with a 6502 Pod that I have connected to a Commodore PET. I really like the bus test that checks the integrity of the the data bus, the RAM test is good, but the real value with working on a PET is the ROM test. I programmed the Fluke to do a separate sum-check on each 4K ROM and can quickly find the bad one that prevents the PET from booting up.

The Pod self-test 40 pin ZIF socket now has a broken contact. How difficult is that going to be to replace? I bought a working unit and have never opened my 9010A or Pod.

BTW, how is your supply of 2532 EPROMs in your web store? I may need some more.
-Dave

The socket itself and not the ribbon cable? The best source if you don't want to try to bed ZIF socket handles is to buy a cheap 8048 pod and use it for parts.

I have plenty 2532s, but I think the stock on the site is probably at zero. I've been so busy repairing things at night for folks and traveling during the day for the day job that I have neglected the web site. I've been Platinum on American Airlines the last 2 years... and was on the road from late October through early December for 6 out of a 7 week period. I got to see some cool places around the globe for that set of trips but it really puts a damper on doing anything in your evenings.