PDA

View Full Version : IBM AT floppy disk cover inaccurate

romanon
February 10th, 2016, 06:40 AM
I have litte cosmetic failture. I have an original floppy disk cover/blind to IBM AT but it not neck and neck to upper floppy disk drive. I am missing some part or doing some wrong? Thanks

29518 29519 29520

lyonadmiral
February 10th, 2016, 06:57 AM
I have litte cosmetic failture. I have an original floppy disk cover/blind to IBM AT but it not neck and neck to upper floppy disk drive. I am missing some part or doing some wrong? Thanks

29518 29519 29520

It is possible that while it looks like an original drive that it is not. However I'd double check the tightness of the filler panel screws below it. and it's not the filler panel that is flush with the disk drive.

offensive_Jerk
February 10th, 2016, 07:01 AM
It is possible that while it looks like an original drive that it is not.

The latch on that drive seems off to me.

Stone
February 10th, 2016, 07:45 AM
The floppy drive doesn't appear to be completely in the bay. The drive and the case should be flush. See if it can be adjusted.

romanon
February 10th, 2016, 08:16 AM
The floppy drive doesn't appear to be completely in the bay. The drive and the case should be flush. See if it can be adjusted.

in my opinion the floppy drive cant go deeper to case...

Can someone take some pictures of correct possitions?

lyonadmiral
February 10th, 2016, 08:21 AM
in my opinion the floppy drive cant go deeper to case...

Can someone take some pictures of correct possitions?

Unless someone does before I, I will take a few snapshots of two AT's I am working on at home.

IBM_User
February 10th, 2016, 12:38 PM
Your drive rails are mounted the wrong way. Turn them 180 degrees.

bobba84
February 10th, 2016, 12:46 PM
Your drive rails are mounted the wrong way. Turn them 180 degrees.

This! The narrow end should be facing the back.

Stone
February 10th, 2016, 01:12 PM
Can you even see the rails in the pics?

bobba84
February 10th, 2016, 01:33 PM
Can you even see the rails in the pics?

No, but I remember putting them on wrong once on a hard disk and it wouldn't go all the way in.

Stone
February 10th, 2016, 01:47 PM
No, but I remember putting them on wrong once on a hard disk and it wouldn't go all the way in.I kinda thought that might have been the case. :-)

There's also the possibility that the rails have multiple sets of mounting holes and the other set will be an exact fit.

Or, they could simple be the wrong rails -- some are proprietary and not made for an IBM AT.

Chuck(G)
February 10th, 2016, 02:00 PM
I've got two styles of AT rails--some have simple holes with recess; the others have the holes and recess elongated.

I've even machined my own from acrylic stock when I couldn't find anything that fit a particular drive correctly.

bobba84
February 10th, 2016, 02:06 PM
There's also the possibility that the rails have multiple sets of mounting holes and the other set will be an exact fit.

Or, they could simple be the wrong rails -- some are proprietary and not made for an IBM AT.

Good point! :)

I've got two styles of AT rails--some have simple holes with recess; the others have the holes and recess elongated.

I've even machined my own from acrylic stock when I couldn't find anything that fit a particular drive correctly.

Totally off topic I know, but wow, 20,000 posts! Congrats! :p

Chuck(G)
February 10th, 2016, 03:30 PM
Totally off topic I know, but wow, 20,000 posts! Congrats! :p

Yeah, after what, more than 8 years, I still don't have a Durango Poppy.. :(

Stone
February 10th, 2016, 03:35 PM
I've got two styles of AT rails--some have simple holes with recess; the others have the holes and recess elongated.I've got several types too; I'm not exactly sure how many different types. I've also got some non-IBM types, some of which are for AT&T 6300 and 6386 WGS machines.

romanon
February 10th, 2016, 11:18 PM
ok, problem is in the rails. Rails for floppy drive are different from rails for hard drive.

This is picture from my another AT floppy drive, which fit fine

and these are 3 types of rails for hard drives which i have . I had type 3 on my floppy drive.

Any from type 1,2,3 are not good for floppy drive, but i dont have more rails for floppy drive.

DDS
February 11th, 2016, 05:13 AM
It's been a while since I played around with an AT style case, but if I recall correctly the rail/drive assembly slides into the case until the bezel contacts the chassis and then is held in place by a screw/clip combination that puts rearward pressure on the front end of the rail. Or may be the assembly butts up against a stop at the rear end of the rail. Again, it's been a long time since I touched one. So one possibility is that the rear end of the rail is hitting something before the drive fully seats and your fix would be to trim a bit of that end of the rail off until you get enough clearance for the drive to sit where you want it.

Another possible fix would be to make some rails out of whatever material you're most comfortable with. Obviously the originals are usually plastic but there's no reason you couldn't make rails out of wood. If I were to cut appropriate sized holes and slots in some drug store tongue depressors and laminate them together I could probably come pretty close to the rails I have and/or the type #2 rails in your picture.

Rails would also be candidates for 3D printing.

romanon
February 11th, 2016, 08:38 AM
ok problem solved, i made new holes to type 2 rails and it works fine...

Chuck(G)
February 11th, 2016, 08:55 AM
DIY rails are easy. I have some ones that I made from scraps of oak from my woodshop scrap box.