PDA

View Full Version : Atari 130xe

WSmith4
November 14th, 2006, 04:04 AM
Did anyone or does anyone have this computer?? If so, does anyone remember the game "Boulder Dash"?? I am trying to find the version I had for this computer that, I believe, came in the floppy disk format. I want to play that game again, but all I can find on Ebay is the construction kit, which isn't the version I had.

I need help!!

Also, I'm new, so HI! :D

ahm
November 14th, 2006, 04:26 PM
I went to http://vjetnam.hopto.org/, plugged "boulder" into the search box and got a bunch of hits.
Not sure which one you're looking for.

carlsson
November 15th, 2006, 12:00 AM
I think it is the original 1984 version that was requested, possibly if it ever was re-released in an improved version for the 130XE which saw the light 1985 or so. Perhaps it is too much alike the older Atari 800-ish for First Star to remake the original game only a few years later. I know they made versions of Rockford's Riot and Boulder Dash Construction Kit for the Amiga and Atari ST many years later (c:a 1989), but that was probably because these computers are not backwards compatible with anything older.

It makes me wonder if the Boulder Dash Construction Kit was sold with add-on levels that recreate the original ones? On the grey market, there are a lot of hacked versions of BD, as well as individually designed clones.

WSmith4
November 15th, 2006, 03:55 AM
Thank you for your help. If anyone else has any suggestions, please let me know.

ahm
November 15th, 2006, 07:47 AM
My point was, if we knew which version you wanted, someone could possibly write the image to floppy.

carlsson
November 15th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Heh. I like the Polish translated version best: Padajici Balvany.

WSmith4
November 16th, 2006, 03:54 AM
I'm pretty sure it's the first version that comes up when I go to that website you suggested... Boulderdash 1. I remember that title screen.

Terry Yager
November 16th, 2006, 11:12 AM
OT, but kinda cute:

http://nfggames.com/ebay/X68ace.jpg

--T

ahm
November 16th, 2006, 11:51 AM
http://vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showpost.php?p=17548&postcount=19

atarimuseum
November 25th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Boulderdash has been re-released for the Atari 5200 Supersystem console:

http://www.atari2600.com/news.php

Curt

Micom 2000
November 27th, 2006, 12:07 AM
Just checked out the Atari museum once more and noticed that in the section on the XE their was nothing on the machine referenced in this thread, the 130XE. While it has a pic to point'n'click on nothing comes up. There is a bit of mention in the 65XE data but unfortunately nothing directly on the 130XE nor, unfortunately, on the XEGS, my 2 favorite 8-bit Atari computers.

Will you be doing histories and capabilities of these computers in the near future. ?

Overall tho I must commend you on what you've achieved so far.
The little reference that both Jobs and Wozniac worked on a computer at Atari and that Bushnell regretfully referred them to other financial sources was something I'd never heard before. Current lore has them putting it all together in Wozniacs garage.

Lawrence

Damn you Jack Tramiel !!!

carlsson
November 27th, 2006, 01:29 AM
Heh. Supposedly, Tramiel rhymes with "done well".

If Jobs and Wozniak had got financial and other support from within Atari, who knows how the computing world had looked today. Would Jobs have insisted on forming a special personal computing division at Atari, or aim for the CEO of the whole company? Would Warner Communications sell the home computing division to the Tramiel family? The computing history is absolutely crowded with what-if:s:

* Apple had never formed, Atari had built colourful and expandable 8-bit personal computers, later crowned by Macintosh/ST series.

* Sony had bought the Amiga Lorraine and early on aimed to make it a smashing games console/computer.

* IBM PC had been sold with CP/M and later on GEM.

* Sinclair had focused on profit-making (home) computers instead of strange vehicles that were doomed to be a laughing stock.

and much much more. Of course, in an altered reality, we would not know about what happened in this branch of reality, and it is not certain that anything had been better if things had taken other turns.

WSmith4
November 28th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Heh. Supposedly, Tramiel rhymes with "done well".

If Jobs and Wozniak had got financial and other support from within Atari, who knows how the computing world had looked today. Would Jobs have insisted on forming a special personal computing division at Atari, or aim for the CEO of the whole company? Would Warner Communications sell the home computing division to the Tramiel family? The computing history is absolutely crowded with what-if:s:

* Apple had never formed, Atari had built colourful and expandable 8-bit personal computers, later crowned by Macintosh/ST series.

* Sony had bought the Amiga Lorraine and early on aimed to make it a smashing games console/computer.

* IBM PC had been sold with CP/M and later on GEM.

* Sinclair had focused on profit-making (home) computers instead of strange vehicles that were doomed to be a laughing stock.

and much much more. Of course, in an altered reality, we would not know about what happened in this branch of reality, and it is not certain that anything had been better if things had taken other turns.

ahh yes, but of course. in the computer world of worlds, we must only wonder what could have/would have/should have happened. and it's only in our wildest imaginations can perfection in the computer evolution project. wrought with distractions and mistakes, the computer industry has failed miserably in performance and trickery.

JellE
November 28th, 2006, 10:38 PM
I don't know anything about the 130xe...but I do know someone who does. There is some stuff posted on AtariAge about it...there is a guy there with the nick Metalguy66 who may be able to help you further. Or, you if you have mIRC... you can go to irc.newnet.net and go into the channel #atari...he is there sometimes, as well as other people who can possibly help you.

carlsson
November 29th, 2006, 12:01 AM
I'd think the 130XE is fairly well known and covered on the Internet, just not so much on Curt's Atari Museum webpage (if Lawrence didn't just miss it). At the nearby swap meet last spring, I almost considered to trade for a 130XE, preferrably with a suitable disk drive. In the end figured I barely have room for my current small collection and even less time to play with them, so I refrained from extending it with an 8-bit Atari.

Bill_Loguidice
November 30th, 2006, 12:46 PM
I have a 130XE, which, oddly enough, is one of the most yellowed pieces in my whole collection. I got it like that so who knows where the previous owners had it, but that's my only real disappointment with it. I got it to round out my Atari 8-bit collection, which also consists of an Atari 800 and an Atari XEGS. I plan on getting an Atari 400 at some point and hopefully even a 1200XL to cover all the remaining bases.

chuckcmagee
November 30th, 2006, 01:26 PM
I just purchased a 1200XL with a 1050 disk drive, bunch of games, 2 joysticks and 2 paddle controllers from Goodwill. It came with 3 ac adapters, looks like the high powered adapter is for some device I don't even own.

Working on figuring out the 1200XL Basic dialect. A lot of the commands I'm familiar with don't work on the XL, like "files" or "dir". I found a great website that has the Basic documentation all online. (hmm, must be google time again, lost the bookmark).

WSmith4
December 1st, 2006, 03:53 AM
I need Boulderdash!!!!!!!!!! :confused:

:mad:

Bill_Loguidice
December 1st, 2006, 05:53 AM

There are a variety of ways to get Boulderdash on your system, from transferring the image via a SIO-2-PC cable or buying a flash cartridge and adding that game to the menu. If you're looking for the original - an original boxed copy - good luck, as "on demand" boxed classic software just doesn't exist, unfortunately. At the same time, you can try some of the few sites that still sell NOS and used Atari computer software. Let me know what direction you wish to go in and I can provide more information.

Bill_Loguidice
December 1st, 2006, 05:54 AM
I just purchased a 1200XL with a 1050 disk drive, bunch of games, 2 joysticks and 2 paddle controllers from Goodwill. It came with 3 ac adapters, looks like the high powered adapter is for some device I don't even own.

Working on figuring out the 1200XL Basic dialect. A lot of the commands I'm familiar with don't work on the XL, like "files" or "dir". I found a great website that has the Basic documentation all online. (hmm, must be google time again, lost the bookmark).

Did you get it from Goodwill online or one of the local stores? I have yet to really dip my toes in Goodwill online, as I'm kind of spoiled by the relative simplicity of eBay.

ahm
December 1st, 2006, 06:27 AM

Wow, ever check your private messages?!

chuckcmagee
December 1st, 2006, 06:43 AM
Yes, I have seen other forum software where it announces that you have new messages on the status line at the bottom of the window. With this forum, you have to look up in the upper right hand corner for any BOLD stuff :rolleyes: Hard to remember to do it sometimes.

NathanAllan
December 1st, 2006, 07:27 AM

I have *got* to get to these goodwills! The ones here hardly EVER have anything computer-related, much less anything like an Atari or Tandy! (recent acquisitions notwithstanding-- they were from individuals) I'd love to stumble on, oh, a big box of just parts for $5. :(

WSmith4
December 1st, 2006, 10:04 AM
There are a variety of ways to get Boulderdash on your system, from transferring the image via a SIO-2-PC cable or buying a flash cartridge and adding that game to the menu. If you're looking for the original - an original boxed copy - good luck, as "on demand" boxed classic software just doesn't exist, unfortunately. At the same time, you can try some of the few sites that still sell NOS and used Atari computer software. Let me know what direction you wish to go in and I can provide more information.

well i guess i would much rather just have the original because i really don't know much about computers beyond the basics. I have no idea what a SIO-2-PC cable is or a flash cartridge or how to add a game to the menu. I don't even know if I have a menu. LOL I'm so lost.... :-?

JellE
December 1st, 2006, 10:17 PM
Here is where you can get an SIO2PC cable. All you do is hook it up to the serial port on your computer. Very simple really. You might also need to download APE onto your computer. There is a freeware or trial version of it...as I have it on my computer.

http://www.atarimax.com/sio2pc/documentation/

Bill_Loguidice
December 5th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Could it be this version, Super Boulderdash?: http://cgi.ebay.com/Atari-400-800-Super-Boulder-Dash-Electronic-Arts_W0QQitemZ200055359399QQihZ010QQcategoryZ4315Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem