PDA

View Full Version : Have I damaged the 486 board?

certem
February 26th, 2016, 02:35 AM
Hi
I bought a 486 board and took it to a local place in order to buy AT PSU and a graphics card for it. The guy inserted a graphics card and it worked just fine. He said he wouldn't sell that card to me but he had some other cards for sale. As you might have guessed the other cards didn't work on my board moreover the first card didn't work after these trials.
So, have I damaged my card by letting him trying those other cards?

lyonadmiral
February 26th, 2016, 04:33 AM
It would help if we had more information about the board.

Are there both ISA and PCI slots on this board?
What architecture (ISA or PCI) video cards did he try?
Why card architecture are you trying?

Stone
February 26th, 2016, 04:44 AM
Sounds like a work-once-then-dead scenario. Some component on the 486 board worked long enough to support the first test card then didn't work any more. Without knowing the details it would still seem the other cards should have worked in a 486 as well.

SomeGuy
February 26th, 2016, 07:42 AM
Just testing some video cards *shouldn't* damage a motherboard, but there are all kinds of things that could go wrong. If any cards were damaged they could have shorted something out. Inspect the expansion slots and see if there is anything stuck in them. Also try clearing the CMOS.

certem
February 26th, 2016, 07:49 AM
The board is an Azza it writes "Socket 3" over the cpu holder. I looked but couldn't find anything to figure out the exact model.
Here's a picture of it:
All the cards tried were ISA.
There was no battery on the board before and it still doesn't have a battery. May clearing CMOS have any effect?

lutiana
February 26th, 2016, 07:55 AM
When you say it does not work anymore, what does that mean exactly? Have you tried plugging in a PC speaker and listening for beep codes?

Stone
February 26th, 2016, 09:43 AM
There was no battery on the board before and it still doesn't have a battery. May clearing CMOS have any effect?If it doesn't have a battery there's nothing in the CMOS to clear! :-)

Every time you power on this board you are directed to configure its options, aren't you?

vwestlife
February 26th, 2016, 09:56 AM
VLB cards are notorious for dirty contacts causing flaky operation. It might work fine one time and then then next time you turn it on, it won't even POST and will just give a beep code! So try removing all the cards, cleaning the contacts and reinstalling them.

Stone
February 26th, 2016, 10:04 AM
It seems (to me) that the ISA video card may have been the only card in this board when the attempt to start it was made.

KC9UDX
February 26th, 2016, 11:14 AM
I hope you weren't hot-swapping boards. :)

certem
February 26th, 2016, 11:13 PM
When you say it does not work anymore, what does that mean exactly? Have you tried plugging in a PC speaker and listening for beep codes?
In the successful trial the board booted to a screen where there were messages like "No bios battery", "No keyboard". When I say it doesn't work any more I meant there's nothing on the screen. No messages, no sign of life.
I haven't yet tried plugging a PC speaker. I will try. Thanks for reminding.

If it doesn't have a battery there's nothing in the CMOS to clear! :-)

Every time you power on this board you are directed to configure its options, aren't you?
I was able to see the "no bios battery, no keyboard found" messages only one time. After that "one time" every time I power on I only hear the fan noise of the PSU and there's a blank screen. Nothing more.

VLB cards are notorious for dirty contacts causing flaky operation. It might work fine one time and then then next time you turn it on, it won't even POST and will just give a beep code! So try removing all the cards, cleaning the contacts and reinstalling them.

Thanks for the advice. First thing I'll try will be cleaning the slots.

It seems (to me) that the ISA video card may have been the only card in this board when the attempt to start it was made.
Yes. Only ISA video card was on the board when I made the attempts. The CPU and memory sticks were in their places too.

I hope you weren't hot-swapping boards. :)
No, I didn't (also the guy at the local store didn't) make any hot-swapping. :D