PDA

View Full Version : Windows 3.0 Real Mode Games?

jmetal88
February 26th, 2016, 03:41 AM
I'm just wondering if there are any Windows 3.0 Real Mode games out there besides the Solitaire and Reversi that came with the GUI. I see maybe three possibilities using the MobyGames browser for Windows 3.x and 8086/8088 compatibility, but that's not a lot to work with.

njroadfan
February 26th, 2016, 04:31 AM
The built in games are the exception rather than the norm. Real Mode in Windows 3.0 existed mostly to run certain Windows 1.x/2.x software that wouldn't run in standard mode.

Agent Orange
February 26th, 2016, 04:57 AM
The best game package that I have for Win 3.0 is the "Microsoft Entertainment Package" It includes; Solitaire, Cruel, Golf, Tetris, Tic-Tac, Mines, Idlewild, Pegged & Taipei.

krebizfan
February 26th, 2016, 07:04 AM
About half of the early Windows 3 shareware were Windows 2 programs marked as being able to run in protected mode. Those will work perfectly in real mode. There were about a dozen Windows 1 and 2 games. Can't really tell the difference, the windows borders and buttons are updated to Windows 3 style when running on Windows 3. All are either free or shareware except for Balance of Power.

There was a website that listed the development of Windows 1, 2, and 3 games by year with downloads. I can't find it anymore.

jmetal88
February 26th, 2016, 07:06 AM
The best game package that I have for Win 3.0 is the "Microsoft Entertainment Package" It includes; Solitaire, Cruel, Golf, Tetris, Tic-Tac, Mines, Idlewild, Pegged & Taipei.

Are you sure that runs in real mode, though? I would have thought those would need Standard or Protected modes.

Agent Orange
February 26th, 2016, 07:21 AM
Are you sure that runs in real mode, though? I would have thought those would need Standard or Protected modes.

Probably not. You would need at least a 286.

njroadfan
February 26th, 2016, 07:23 AM
Lack of available memory would be one possible limit to running in real mode. The Entertainment Pack games should run in Standard Mode, they don't require any 386 specific features. Back of the box says 286 or higher, which implies Standard Mode.

krebizfan
February 26th, 2016, 07:33 AM
Taipei in the Windows Entertainment Pack was derived from a Windows 1 program. Try that one.

All the VB based games will not work in real mode which is most of the games in the later Entertainment Packs and the non-MS counterparts.

My favorite of all of this is Nathan Lineback's adaption of WineMine (the Minesweeper clone from WINE) which runs on Windows 1, 2, and 3 (real and protected modes).

Osgeld
February 26th, 2016, 09:23 AM
battle chess for windows 3x (least the floppy version I have) will tell you that you will not have sound unless windows is in real mode

Cloudschatze
November 21st, 2016, 08:14 AM
Concerning the Entertainment Pack titles, I've tested and found the following to be Real Mode compatible:

Microsoft Entertainment Pack 1
Cruel
Golf
Minesweeper
Pegged
Taipei
Tetris
TicTactics
IdleWild
Microsoft Entertainment Pack 2
FreeCell
Pipe Dream
Tut's Tomb
IdleWild
Microsoft Entertainment Pack 3
Fuji Golf
Klotski
Life Genesis
SkiFree
Tetravex
TriPeaks
WordZap
IdleWild
Microsoft Entertainment Pack 4
JezzBall
Maxwell's Maniac

A few other game titles that haven't yet been mentioned include "Warheads for Windows," and Virgin Entertainment's "Risk."

SomeGuy
November 21st, 2016, 10:15 AM
I noticed that the original After Dark 1.0 for Windows 3.0 runs in real mode, although I did not try it on an actual 8088/8086.

bear
November 21st, 2016, 12:00 PM
I can confirm that Entertainment Pack 1 works in real mode, at least on a 286.

Cloudschatze
November 21st, 2016, 08:21 PM
I can confirm that Entertainment Pack 1 works in real mode, at least on a 286.

All of the titles I listed on the previous page, including those from Entertainment Pack 1, have been operationally tested on a V30-based system. I can try the same on an 8086-based system, if there's any interest.

Xacalite
November 22nd, 2016, 11:17 PM
battle chess for windows 3x (least the floppy version I have) will tell you that you will not have sound unless windows is in real mode
There must be a mistake somewhere...
According to the cover info: https://www.mobygames.com/images/covers/l/77118-battle-chess-windows-3-x-front-cover.jpg
it only works in standard or enhanced, and digitized sound is available in standard mode only.
But it's still interesting: a Windows game with sound before the Multimedia Extensions, probably using the same digitized sound routines for PC Speaker as the DOS version.

MrArgent
November 25th, 2016, 09:44 PM
they've been mentioned, but Klotz and SkiFree run comfortably on a v30/8087 box.