PDA

View Full Version : Amiga 4 ever emulator

Chromedome45
March 2nd, 2016, 08:32 AM
Ok folks, Has anyone out there tried Colanto's Amiga 4 ever? And what do you think of it?

commodorejohn
March 2nd, 2016, 08:41 AM
Isn't it just UAE pre-packaged with software?

krebizfan
March 2nd, 2016, 11:30 AM
Isn't it just UAE pre-packaged with software?

Yes. The pre-packaging makes it easier to install and precludes all the searching for relevant ROM and OS versions.

For the OP, it does what it says it does.

amadama
March 2nd, 2016, 12:13 PM
It's not worth it. I bought three versions of it in the past (two for the PC and the roms for Android). Never again. Just download WinUAE and get all the TOSEC software from archive.org
If you have $30 burning a hole in your pocket I suppose you can go for it...

Trixter
March 3rd, 2016, 06:20 PM
Well, what you're really paying for is the actual ROM code inside various model Amigas as well as the license to legally use them. So that's 95% of what your money is paying for.

I felt it was worth buying once, for peace of mind.

KC9UDX
March 3rd, 2016, 06:27 PM
I've got a box of dead Amiga ROMs. Most likely someone installed them backward at some point (used to be a common occurrence).

I always wondered if I could sell them so someone could legally use UAE. I can't imagine I would do that, but still I wonder.

Unknown_K
March 3rd, 2016, 08:06 PM
Isn't Amiga explorer included with Amiga Forever? That utility lets you transfer disk and hard drive images to between the Amiga and a PC via serial port (slow) or Ethernet (fast). Worth it for that utility alone. I remember when I got my first Amiga (A500 with just a single working Workbench 1.3 floppy and an external disk drive) that AE made life easy transferring disk images to real floppies on the Amiga.

amadama
March 3rd, 2016, 08:19 PM
You can download Amiga Explorer for free from Cloanto: (it's shareware)
https://www.amigaforever.com/ae/

Chromedome45
March 4th, 2016, 05:56 AM
Thanks for inputs. I already have AE. And as mentioned very slow over serial port. I have an A500 Amiga currently but IMO the WB 1.3 is kind of ugly. Have seen images of WB 3.1 and it looks a lot nicer. Guess I need an A1200!

amadama
March 4th, 2016, 06:25 AM
Nope, you don't need an A1200, you will need this when available for the A500:
http://www.majsta.com/modules.php?name=News&file=categories&op=newindex&catid=7

The Vampire FPGA accelerator is already available for the A600. This one for A500, A1000 and A2000 should be out later this year.
It already comes with Kickstart 3.1 also and gives you the equivalent speed of a 68060 at 100Mhz, IDE and AGA/RTG graphics with HDMI output.
It is around 150 Euro...

http://www.kipper2k.com/accel600.html

Chromedome45
March 4th, 2016, 08:04 AM
Cool can't wait to see one in action! However the Majasta.com page doesn't seem to load. Thanks for the links though amadama!

KC9UDX
March 4th, 2016, 10:25 AM
That looks nice.

But there are still plenty of conventional solutions.

3.1 GUI is the same as 2.1 (albeit faster). 2.1 (and 2.04/2.05) should still be plentiful.

Unknown_K
March 4th, 2016, 02:22 PM
Most games for the A500 (vast majority of games produced) are booting floppies so you don't see workbench anyway. You would be better of buying a floppy emulator drive and load it with adf images and call it a day (cheaper too).

KC9UDX
March 4th, 2016, 02:32 PM
Don't forget you can change the colours. You don't have to use the default blue/orange.

The blue and orange was designed to absolutely work under the worst conditions on any television at the time.

commodorejohn
March 4th, 2016, 03:25 PM
Yep. WB2+ still looks much better (and is generally more usable,) but just changing those awful colors makes a world of difference.

KC9UDX
March 4th, 2016, 05:57 PM
Yep. WB2+ still looks much better (and is generally more usable,) but just changing those awful colors makes a world of difference.

Generally, yes. The fuel level gauges went away until 3.5 (or was it 3.9), and I never really got over the missing depth gadget.