PDA

View Full Version : Oh now this is cool...

apple2fan
November 14th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Extremely Rare!!! Not many canadian version's of the apple IIe around!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250049897859&fromMakeTrack=true

atari2600a
November 14th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Just curious, what's the difference between US & EUR versions?

grant
November 14th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Canadian Apple IIe greets you with

APPLE ][, eh?

atari2600a
November 14th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Is there a red maple leaf & free health insurance on boot too?

Terry Yager
November 14th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Canadian Apple IIe greets you with

APPLE ][, eh?

Mock if you will! I used to have a Xerox 820 that displayed 'Eh?' instead of the usual 'What?' error message.

--T

atari2600a
November 14th, 2006, 08:23 PM
What, did you hex edit the ROM or something? (I did that w/ Super Mario Bros., & ghetto-itized all the text; "Welcome To Warp Zone" said "Welcome To Ghetto")

Terry Yager
November 14th, 2006, 08:33 PM
What, did you hex edit the ROM or something? (I did that w/ Super Mario Bros., & ghetto-itized all the text; "Welcome To Warp Zone" said "Welcome To Ghetto")

No, but apparently a previous owner did. I did hack my Kaypro system disk to display a custom startup banner that says 'The computer is family' instead of the usual blahblah...

--T

apple2fan
November 15th, 2006, 03:47 AM
Is there a red maple leaf & free health insurance on boot too?

Ha Ha! The only real difference is the key's are some what Canadian, the power supply has been fit to there voltage, and the video out has been changed. So, I guess the only big difference is Its rarity, and the keyboard.:) I think less than 1000 where made! Its hard to find Canadian apple II's, but its more harder to get an apple IIe version.

By the way, I just came across this apple II, and I noticed Its located in Canada. Could It be an apple II Canadian version, or just brought over from America,
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-APPLE-II-1978-ORIGINAL-WITH-SOFTWARES_W0QQitemZ110055553435QQihZ001QQcategoryZ 80075QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

atari2600a
November 15th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Ah, I completely forgot about voltage & video! (as alot of computers have external PSU's & whatnot...)

Paisley Pirate
November 15th, 2006, 01:39 PM
????

Canada uses 110v 60hz just like USA (their power grid and ours is intertwined... yet more proof they are the 51st state... :) j/k all of you from the North!)

Their television uses NTSC standard also, so that ain't it either...

could be time/datestamp prefs or some other stuff...

Terry Yager
November 15th, 2006, 02:17 PM
????

Canada uses 110v 60hz just like USA (their power grid and ours is intertwined... yet more proof they are the 51st state... :) j/k all of you from the North!)

Their television uses NTSC standard also, so that ain't it either...

could be time/datestamp prefs or some other stuff...

Now I'm getting confuzed-er! Wasn't the original question:

Just curious, what's the difference between US & EUR versions?

...???

--T

apple2fan
November 15th, 2006, 03:07 PM
I could have sworn that Canada has a different kind of outlet than Americas.
And also, there Is a switch on the underneath of the computer that changes It from English to french.

atari2600a
November 15th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Our outlets look like the blocks in Super Mario World. :p

carlsson
November 15th, 2006, 04:17 PM
What is a "somewhat Canadian" keyboard? Does it reflect the choice of two languages and has keys for adding accents as required in French?

apple2fan
November 15th, 2006, 05:01 PM
What is a "somewhat Canadian" keyboard? Does it reflect the choice of two languages and has keys for adding accents as required in French?

If you look at the pictures on the page, It shows English and (I'm guessing) french key's. It has a switch on the bottom lip under the keyboard that switches It from french to English and back. That's why I put "somewhat".

carlsson
November 16th, 2006, 02:11 AM
Ah. It looks like four keys has double markings. I think in France the AZERTY layout is most common, but I'm not sure if French speaking in Canada uses the same layout. Either the switch changes the layout completely or only makes it possible to enter the letters with accents. While this Apple //e may be rare for having double markings, on other post-1985 systems (in Europe), it is somewhat common.