PDA

View Full Version : Opening up a Compaq Plus?

SMichelsen
March 5th, 2016, 03:26 PM
I just acquired a really nice Compaq Plus portable and want to open it up to inspect and clean it up inside, and eventually add a board. I need to start by removing the plastic side panels. I am hesitant to just start prying away at it (at the arrowed tabs) and want to know if there is a “safe” way to open it without breaking anything. What's the best tool / method to open this up?

peach production
March 5th, 2016, 03:55 PM
is it the portable plus

peach production
March 5th, 2016, 04:01 PM
ok this is what iv found on youtube you will have to pull it apart but in a specific way as seen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YO-BCqPqs4

tkc8800
March 5th, 2016, 05:38 PM
I just acquired a really nice Compaq Plus portable and want to open it up to inspect and clean it up inside, and eventually add a board. I need to start by removing the plastic side panels. I am hesitant to just start prying away at it (at the arrowed tabs) and want to know if there is a “safe” way to open it without breaking anything. What's the best tool / method to open this up?

I have one of these machines and I've taken off the side panels quite a few times. The guy in the youtube video has the right idea, although I wouldn't use nail files, I've found using an old plastic credit card a better option. Insert the corner of the credit card at one end along the top edge then just slide it across and release the remaining tabs.

PhilipA
March 5th, 2016, 06:16 PM
I just use my fingers for mine. Place it the correct way up for operation on a nice flay surface (kitchen table) on a towel or such to protect both.

Fingertips to the back edge, about 1/3 the way from one side. Push your palm down again the top and the back will flex out enough to get your fingers in under the back edge. Hold it against the spring of the plastic and work along the clips to pop them off. It can be a bit awkward but it's possible.

Flat bladed screwdriver to remove the inner cage, beware the plastic clips that hold the cards in place.

--Phil

Chuckster_in_Jax
March 5th, 2016, 07:00 PM
29961From the Compaq Portable Service manual

SMichelsen
March 6th, 2016, 10:25 AM
I have one of these machines and I've taken off the side panels quite a few times. The guy in the youtube video has the right idea, although I wouldn't use nail files, I've found using an old plastic credit card a better option. Insert the corner of the credit card at one end along the top edge then just slide it across and release the remaining tabs.

Thanks to all for that link to the video and the tip about the credit cards. Yes it seemed to me that the sandpapery nail files couldn't be good for the plastic. I was thinking ice cream sticks, but on your advice I used multiple credit cards - one at each tab - until the cover let go. Worked great! All five plastic clips are still there - success.

Upon seeing the inside of the cover, I have now learned that the build date for my Compaq Portable Plus is Oct 15, 1985.

Steve

SMichelsen
March 6th, 2016, 10:35 AM
is it the portable plus

Yes it is the Portable Plus!

tkc8800
March 6th, 2016, 03:12 PM
29961From the Compaq Portable Service manual

Personally I never use a metal object to open a plastic case. Nine out of ten times it will leave some sort of scratch or damage to the plastic. Especially with old plastic which is more fragile. Best to use a flexible plastic object. I have a flexible plastic spatula which works great or as mentioned above an old credit card. These days you can get those little plastic tools for opening mobile phones, those are really good if you have them.

mike52787
March 7th, 2016, 03:48 PM
I used popsicle sticks and the dull edge of my pocket knife to pop mine open.pry up one part with a thin, blunt object and then hold it with popsicle sticks, then move onto the next clip. I didnt damage mine at all. Still looking for a power supply for it though.