PDA

View Full Version : Neworking Windows for Workgroups v3.11

stangman517
March 8th, 2016, 02:55 PM
Greetings all.

I've got a 486DX4 (64MB RAM) running this OS and having trouble networking (RJ45) it with my Win7,8,10,XP,Vista,98se environment. The NIC is 3Com 509. The NIC is configured correctly on this 486 because I have the original software to set it up. The WFW is set to the same Homegroup (Workgroup) but can't see any of the other systems. Does anyone have any experience with connecting WFW in my environmet?

Thanks

lyonadmiral
March 8th, 2016, 05:33 PM
Greetings all.

I've got a 486DX4 (64MB RAM) running this OS and having trouble networking (RJ45) it with my Win7,8,10,XP,Vista,98se environment. The NIC is 3Com 509. The NIC is configured correctly on this 486 because I have the original software to set it up. The WFW is set to the same Homegroup (Workgroup) but can't see any of the other systems. Does anyone have any experience with connecting WFW in my environmet?

Thanks

What are the other systems running? I assume the TCP/IP stack is running and it either is getting or you have a static IP set?

stangman517
March 8th, 2016, 07:35 PM
Yes I have TCP/IP running on Win7,8,10,XP,Vista,98se OS'es but didn't see the option to install TCP/IP for WFW. I decided to break out my WFW manual tonight; haven't read the networking piece yet. I too think it's because I don't have this stack running. Off the top do you know how/what I need to do to install the TCP/IP stack?

Thanks

SpidersWeb
March 8th, 2016, 07:58 PM
Yes I have TCP/IP running on Win7,8,10,XP,Vista,98se OS'es but didn't see the option to install TCP/IP for WFW. I decided to break out my WFW manual tonight; haven't read the networking piece yet. I too think it's because I don't have this stack running. Off the top do you know how/what I need to do to install the TCP/IP stack?

Thanks
Check the protocol is installed as per this: http://www.yale.edu/pclt/WINWORLD/WFWG311.HTM

If it's not available, install tcp32b. Google turned up this FTP site: ftp://ftp.ntplx.net/pub/networking/wfw/
With install instructions at ftp://ftp.ntplx.net/pub/networking/wfw/update.txt

You still wont be able to see other systems very well - e.g. WFW311 isn't going to support modern encryption/security standards - but the newer machines should be able to see it / access it directly.
Often I just access older machines by typing in the name directly e.g. \\486computer or \\192.168.1.144 etc etc

Edit: not a Windows 3.11 expert, but have done this a few times with no drama before.

stangman517
March 8th, 2016, 08:28 PM
Hello Spidersweb.

I'll try it. I forgot to mention that from my Win98se PC I can see the 486DX (WFW) PC but can't see the 98se or other systems on the homegroup via my 486DX PC. I'll look over your data you provided and get back. WFW actually was the cutting edge in its day for networking PCs in a workgroup. As for encryption with my other PCs, eh that's ok because it is my home wifi.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Chuck(G)
March 8th, 2016, 09:40 PM
Getting old MSLANMAN to inter-operate with Win XP and later machines can be a real challenge. I gave up wandering through the vagaries of NETBEUI on later machines and just use TCP/IP (e.g. ftp).

stangman517
March 9th, 2016, 06:25 PM
Ok Spidersweb,

Greetings.

Installed the tcp32b ok. However, MS Edge and IE failed (Win10) to download it, so I used ole faithful (FF) to download it fine. Edge really does tick me off.

Results: I can now see my Win98se, 7,8, and Win10 systems from my WFW PC, and I can access a shared directory on my WFW PC from these systems. However I cannot access shared directories from my WFW PC on these other systems. I get the "DOS error 1311 occurred" error. Any ideas on the error? Searching yields a plethora of nonsense reasons.

Thanks

stangman517
March 9th, 2016, 06:27 PM
Yeah at first I thought after I made NETBEUI the default protocol it helped, but I didn't verify this before installing TCP/IP. I haven't given up yet, but there comes a time to throw in the towel when trying to get these older OSes to talk friendly to each other.

Thanks

Pepinno
March 23rd, 2016, 09:09 PM
Yeah at first I thought after I made NETBEUI the default protocol it helped, but I didn't verify this before installing TCP/IP. I haven't given up yet, but there comes a time to throw in the towel when trying to get these older OSes to talk friendly to each other.

Those systems won't talk friendly to each other. Only Win95/98 will talk somewhat friendly to WfW3.11, as they are all DOS-based. XP and above are NT based and use an "improved" security model which will cause troubles for you WfW3.11 system.

As Chuck(G) said above, if you really want to internetwork with Windows XP and above, you should used standar FTP over TCP/IP, anything else will be a waste of your time (although I've succesfully mapped NetBIOS-shared folders from Windows 2000 computers in DOS 6.22 systems in the past, over TCP/IP --not over NetBEUI).

Shadow Lord
April 3rd, 2016, 06:30 PM
You need to turn off the security requirement for the newer OSes. I don't have a link handy but MS has a KB on it. You still won't be able to browse reliably without setting up a WINS server but direct mapping of IP addresses should work just fine.

Caluser2000
April 3rd, 2016, 06:42 PM
Those systems won't talk friendly to each other. Only Win95/98 will talk somewhat friendly to WfW3.11, as they are all DOS-based. XP and above are NT based and use an "improved" security model which will cause troubles for you WfW3.11 system.
Asuming it's for file sharing you just need to install netbeui in XP http://californiasoftwaresystems.com/ts/netbeui-for-windows-xp/ It bypasses any security in XP. You can do the same with NT4, as well as W2K. It may even work for the 32-bit versions of Windows 7 up.

One thing I did networking my 486s and lower was to use a 10/100 switch as an intermediary network device.