PDA

View Full Version : Windows 95 compatible drivers for Dell Latitude D410+DVD dock

Capt. 2110
March 19th, 2016, 08:25 AM
Sorry for the long name.

I'm looking for Windows 95 drivers for the Dell Latitude D410, and its DVD drive enabled dock.
These are the drivers I know I need:

Intel 915GM integrated graphics
Sigmatel 9751 AC '97 compatible sound chip
DVD-ROM drivers
Some kind of drivers for the battery meter

Thanks in advance!
-Capt. 2110

Agent Orange
March 19th, 2016, 09:07 AM
Sorry for the long name.

I'm looking for Windows 95 drivers for the Dell Latitude D410, and its DVD drive enabled dock.
These are the drivers I know I need:

Intel 915GM integrated graphics
Sigmatel 9751 AC '97 compatible sound chip
DVD-ROM drivers
Some kind of drivers for the battery meter

Thanks in advance!
-Capt. 2110

It seems as if only XP & 2000 drivers are available from the Dell site.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/latitude-D400/drivers

Question: Any special reason for W95 on your Latitude?

krebizfan
March 19th, 2016, 09:23 AM
It can run Win98SE even though that is not a supported option. Some rough edges with Win98SE. Win95 maximum CPU is far less than the Pentium M. You could install unofficial patches to Win95 to make it work but that just gives a Frankenstein construction of a Win98 install that displays a Win95 About box.

Seriously though, why do you want to do this? The D410 came out after MS originally planned on ending support for Win98SE and long after other versions of Win9x were dropped.

Capt. 2110
March 19th, 2016, 10:26 AM
I mostly want to run Windows 95 or 98 so I can play Windows 95 or 98 games on a laptop, since I couldn't fix either of the Pentium laptops I found a while back. I got this laptop for free, and it works well(now that it has a couple of operating systems). Can you install Windows 98SE through a CD drive, and can I dual boot it with my 95 install? It has Linux on it, too, so it has the GRUB bootloader, if that would help.

HoJoPo
March 19th, 2016, 10:39 AM
I mostly want to run Windows 95 or 98 so I can play Windows 95 or 98 games on a laptop, since I couldn't fix either of the Pentium laptops I found a while back. I got this laptop for free, and it works well(now that it has a couple of operating systems). Can you install Windows 98SE through a CD drive, and can I dual boot it with my 95 install? It has Linux on it, too, so it has the GRUB bootloader, if that would help.

You could dual boot, there is a way to configure grub to enable/make active the correct partitions, but it's unnecessarily complicated. Windows 98SE should be compatible with just about any Windows 95 software you want to run, and will behave much better on that hardware, giving you much better USB and network support.

Capt. 2110
March 19th, 2016, 11:03 AM
Should I use the OEM version a WinWorldPC, or something else? I ask only because I have a W98 key, but it's OEM, and I'm missing the CD.