PDA

View Full Version : What are these cards for?

dr.zeissler
March 21st, 2016, 08:52 AM
Hi, I found an auction with these four ISA-Cards. Can anyone tell me what these cards are?

Thx!
Greetings
Doc

Scali
March 21st, 2016, 09:06 AM
The VESA localbus card appears to be a Trident 9400 SVGA card, but with some extra functionality as well. It appears to double as a multi-IO card, with floppy, IDE, LPT1 and a game port on there.
The 8-bit ISA card marked "BLACK & WHITE/PARALLEL" is an IBM MDA/LPT1 card.
The other two appear to be video capture boards.
One of them seems to be a New Media "Super Video Windows" card: http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?10306-Drivers-New-Media-Graphics-Super-Video-Windows-Capture-Card

krebizfan
March 21st, 2016, 09:11 AM
1) Probably a DVD (MPEG) decoder card
2) Monochrome port with parallel port. Not IBM so might support Hercules modes.
3) Another video support card. I think frame grabber.
4) VLB bus multifunction card with VGA, IDE, floppy, game, serial, and parallel ports. You will need lots of cables and mounting brackets to get full use out of it.

kyodai
March 21st, 2016, 09:14 AM
First one with the Philips chips - I guess it's kinda video cutting board. Second one, reads "Black & white /parallel", so my guess is a CGA card combined with a parallel port card? "Super Vide Windows" - i think a Windows 3 era capture card... Last one - some kinda super-duper-everything card. As i see it it has FD, IDE, serial, parallel and game port controller and it's also a graphics card. Wow! Is tehre anything this card can't do? Wouldn't be surprised if it could also make pancakes...

Scali
March 21st, 2016, 09:28 AM
2) Monochrome port with parallel port. Not IBM so might support Hercules modes.

What makes you say it's not IBM?
IBM didn't brand their cards. I have two IBM MDA/LPT cards, and this one looks exactly like it. So I'm pretty sure it's an original IBM.
It looks almost exactly like the one here: http://minuszerodegrees.net/5150_5160/cards/5150_5160_cards.htm

dr.zeissler
March 21st, 2016, 09:29 AM
Thx! I thought about my A2000 and the Bridgboard-Usage, but these cards are not usefull for that purpose.

Greetings
Doc

vwestlife
March 21st, 2016, 11:46 AM
What makes you say it's not IBM?
IBM didn't brand their cards. I have two IBM MDA/LPT cards, and this one looks exactly like it. So I'm pretty sure it's an original IBM.
It looks almost exactly like the one here: http://minuszerodegrees.net/5150_5160/cards/5150_5160_cards.htm

It's unusual to see it with white ports instead of black. Otherwise it looks to be genuine IBM.

Scali
March 21st, 2016, 12:14 PM
It's unusual to see it with white ports instead of black. Otherwise it looks to be genuine IBM.

The one in my 5160 has white ports as well.
Not having bought the PC as new, I can't say for 100% whether this is the card that was installed at the factory or not.
The other card I have, has a white 9-pin connector and a black 25-pin connector.
Sounds a lot like those Gibson 'zebra' humbucker pickups from the 50s: they just used whatever was in stock, I suppose.

per
March 21st, 2016, 12:44 PM
It's often very easy to spot IBM ISA cards. They always, with almost no exception, have a bit of red and green paint on the top edge of the PCB.

Stone
March 21st, 2016, 01:10 PM
It's often very easy to spot IBM ISA cards. They always, with almost no exception, have a bit of red and green paint on the top edge of the PCB.Any idea why?

per
March 21st, 2016, 02:16 PM
Any idea why?

I can only guess it's to indicate the cards having passed certain manufacturing steps/tests.