PDA

View Full Version : Sealed IBM 5150 value

jojy
March 23rd, 2016, 05:42 PM
I recently received an unopened, original version IBM 5150 that has been sitting in a collection for decades. I'm not interested in selling it, but just in finding out what this is worth. I've heard that 'like new' 5150's from the original version can sell for thousands, but even those I believe were open. Anyone know? I'm pretty new to collecting vintage computers, and this seems to be way out of what I have any right to own starting out.

gslick
March 23rd, 2016, 06:38 PM
I don't know how original IBM 5150 PC value compares with 5170 AT value in new, unopened condition.

This seller on eBay sold several new, unopened condition 5170 AT machines around the $500-$700 range.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/322000132168?orig_cvip=true

I haven't noticed any 5150 PC machines go by in similar condition recently for comparison.

SomeGuy
March 23rd, 2016, 07:05 PM
Just keep in mind that a very early "A" model 5150 would be worth much more than a later version. In all probability yours is a later one, but don't be fooled when you see early ones sell for a truckload. Does the box have a serial number or indicate when it was produced?

Personally I think boxes are a little overrated but some people go nuts over them (I dare say many of them are on this forum). At least the 5150 doesn't have a battery or anything in it that will leak and eat everything up. So wherever you found it, good find.

KC9UDX
March 23rd, 2016, 07:10 PM
If it were me, I'd either

1) Tear the box open and fix it up and use it.

2) Sell it for high dollar and buy one that's already been opened for use.

To me, leaving it in a box on a shelf or on a basement floor just isn't an option. But that's me.

NeXT
March 23rd, 2016, 07:58 PM
About six years ago a boxed 5150 kit would easily make $1000, then the value really slipped and I stopped really watching.
The good thing about the 5150 and 5160 is that they didn't ship form IBM with an RTC so you don't need to worry about a battery leaking which means excluding the various tantalum capacitors and the foil AC caps in the power supply it should store extremely well for decades.

Malc
March 24th, 2016, 12:21 AM
There's no way i'd be able to resist 'not' opening the box, If at some stage you did decide to sell, Buyers would want to see pictures ask questions etc. Hard to put a price on something you can't see.

Sir_Fartalot
March 24th, 2016, 11:08 AM
If it were me, I'd either

1) Tear the box open and fix it up and use it.

2) Sell it for high dollar and buy one that's already been opened for use.

To me, leaving it in a box on a shelf or on a basement floor just isn't an option. But that's me.

I agree with you - what's the fun in having the computer in a box? None, in my mind. At the very least, one derives enjoyment from looking at the old computer, but much more, at least for me, in making it work, firing it up from time to time.

Sir_Fartalot
March 24th, 2016, 11:11 AM
This auction ended very recently, selling a working IBM 5160:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/IBM-XT-Typ-5160-mit-IBM-Monitor-/291710169648?hash=item43eb47f230%3Ag%3AaPcAAOSwyjB W6HqA&autorefresh=true&nma=true&si=PGUeM9Sb4htKFdSOT%252BrLCzLLyAc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The price is extremely reasonable for a working PC of that era!

Trixter
March 24th, 2016, 01:24 PM
this seems to be way out of what I have any right to own starting out.

I would agree :-) Computers "mint in box" is not a common part of the hobby. Computers WITH their boxes is, but not never-opened. That said, it does raise the value a bit for those in the hobby with more disposable income.

The problem with a sealed box is that you don't know which revision of the IBM 5150 you have, and the earlier "rev a" systems are worth more as previously noted. Is there a ship date or other markings on the box?