PDA

View Full Version : "Floppy tape drive" connector

Xacalite
March 25th, 2016, 12:34 PM
I've been looking for a 4-floppy-disk-drive controller, and found this - http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-disk-floppy-controllers/P-R/PROMISE-TECHNOLOGY-INC-Four-IDE-AT-drives-DRIVECAC.html

It has two 34-pin connectors: "floppy drive" and "floppy tape drive".
So, the question is: what's the difference between them?
Is it possible to use the second connector for regular floppy disk drives?

The price for this card is too high for me to buy it blindly...

Stone
March 25th, 2016, 02:12 PM
AFAIK, some floppy tape drives plug directly into the ribbon cable that has an extra connector on it enabling it to run along with the two existing floppy drives.

Agent Orange
March 25th, 2016, 03:16 PM
AFAIK, some floppy tape drives plug directly into the ribbon cable that has an extra connector on it enabling it to run along with the two existing floppy drives.

I used to have a 'Colorado' tape backup system which plugged right into the floppy cable. No dedicated controller required. Tape drive is long gone but I still have the software if anyone needs it.

Stone
March 25th, 2016, 03:51 PM
I've got the tape drive, three connector ribbon cable and software if anyone wants that.

Chuck(G)
March 25th, 2016, 04:40 PM
Hard to say exactly.

Since most QIC-80 drives interface via firing off seek pulses (they don't use drive select the way floppies do), there's no guarantee that all the floppy lines are brought out through the connector. In any case, there's no guarantee that all signals needed to run a floppy drive are present on the tape connector.