PDA

View Full Version : ZX SPECTRUM as serial terminal

Christoffer
April 2nd, 2016, 11:18 AM
So, today I came across, perhaps, my greatest flea market find to date: A boxfull of spectrum!
16K zx spectrum
zx interface 1
zx microdrive
19 microdrive cartridges in box
Seikosha GP50S printer

All original cables
original spectrum demo tape
all manuals for the above
for about 10/15$

All in good nick, except the keyboard membrane, which I've ordered a replacement for.
Enough showing off my finds, that wasn't the point:

The ZX interface 1 has a serial port, and that's truly interesting. Worldofspectrum.com has a lot of terminal emulators for the spectrums,
but since I haven't used much spectrum-based software (my 128K+2 couldn't load tapes), I don't know much about them.

Has anyone ever used a terminal program with the zx spectrum? Any recommendations?

In my opinion, the ZX spectrum would be the coolest/wackiest serial terminal you could probably get.
(Actual dumb terminals are a lot of trouble, kinda expensive and hard to move, modern emulators are for the less vintagely inclined)

--Christoffer

gertk
April 2nd, 2016, 11:25 AM
Nice find, things to check before putting the cartridges into the microdrive is the foam or felt pad on the leaf spring behind the tape in the cartridges..
If the felt pad is gone or them foam falling apart they can ruin the tape and cartridges. There are ways to replace the felt but it is a fiddly job.

NeXT
April 2nd, 2016, 11:51 AM
Nice find, things to check before putting the cartridges into the microdrive is the foam or felt pad on the leaf spring behind the tape in the cartridges..
If the felt pad is gone or them foam falling apart they can ruin the tape and cartridges. There are ways to replace the felt but it is a fiddly job.

Shameless plug (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j3tsCT-Ivk)

I really don't see why there would not be even a simply terminal emulation application for the spectrum. Where you would find one I really do not know.

Christoffer
April 2nd, 2016, 12:07 PM
Quote Originally Posted by gertk View Post
Shameless plug
Great advice, great video, thanks both! Fortunately, my felt pads seem to be intact still.

I'm sure there are terminal programs that'd just work, and I've found like, 20 or so of them. The thing is, a lot of them counts on a specific peripheral port->serial adapter.
But I guess I can just try loading the tape images of those and see which ones works.

Christoffer
April 6th, 2016, 02:52 PM
Just as a followup, I've gotten the machine working, with new kbd membrane, have tried a handful of serial terminal emulators, and they seem to work decent. I haven't found any where you can set the baudrate, though. If you're content with 9600 baud, no problems, though!