PDA

View Full Version : IBM PC 5150-Style Case with a Serial No 10009

Janean77
April 13th, 2016, 02:02 PM
I have found an IBM PC that looks like a standard 5150 or 5160 case, but the IBM Label on front reads "Graphics Development Instrument" in small print under the IBM logo. On the back side it has a small blue IBM label and a hand written/engraved serial number 10009. I could not find this machine on google.

Does anyone know of this machine and why it is labeled differently?

I have a photo of the keyboard with the double IBM stickers.

modem7
April 14th, 2016, 04:21 AM
"IBM" and "Graphics Development Instrument" appear together in the second item at [here (http://www.copyrightencyclopedia.com/mvs-custom-built-offerings-mvs-custom-built-installation-5/)].
In that is "I B M part number 6280076".
IBM part number 6280076 appears elsewhere as the part number for version 1.10 of 'Graphics Development ToolKit' software.

Maybe "Graphics Development Instrument" stickers were supplied with the Graphics Development ToolKit software, to be added by users to their IBM computer, if desired.

Janean77
April 14th, 2016, 03:01 PM
Thank you for the reply. I was able to get photos o30642f the computer today.

SomeGuy
April 14th, 2016, 05:30 PM
There are 8 slots on the back, so that is an XT/5160 style case.

It looks to be loaded. At a glance it seems to have EGA video. Not sure what all the other stuff is.

It would be very interesting to pop the cover off and see exactly what is installed.

Janean77
April 18th, 2016, 01:35 PM
Thank you for the info, it was helpful.

I was not able to get it to display, boot or beep. Fan on power supply does spin.

This machine was received as a donation and has been posted for auction on our site (where I work). The IBM 5153 monitor was listed in a separate auction. The keyboard auction ends 4/19/2016.

I would have loved to troubleshoot this one further, but we have a limited amount of time that we spend on each item.

The fun will have to go the winner of the auction. Hopefully, we get a bid and it goes to a good home.

Thanks again.

byates
April 18th, 2016, 02:01 PM
Link
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Vintage-IBM-SN-10009-Desktop-PC-for-PartsRepair-29257972.html
And
IBM 5153 Color Monitor
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Vintage-IBM-5153-Color-Monitor-29257436.html

Cimonvg
May 13th, 2016, 06:23 PM
hello
high or low serial number, saw this computer on auction (not me selling) - but the serial number is quite high for a 3 screw + black psu computer ??
www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM-5150-PC-Computer-Dual-FDD-Clicky-Keyboard-Pacman-1-2-3-Working-/162066676119
...but it looks nice! :)
/cimonvg

Shadow Lord
May 19th, 2016, 09:33 PM
Link
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Vintage-IBM-SN-10009-Desktop-PC-for-PartsRepair-29257972.html
And
IBM 5153 Color Monitor
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/Vintage-IBM-5153-Color-Monitor-29257436.html

Looks like this got relisted? In any case you should really sell the KB and system together. Yeah, you might make a few more bucks selling them separately but obviously the two go together if for no other reason then the labeling.

itadvantage
June 9th, 2016, 10:52 AM
I'm actually the one who won this item. I just got it a couple days ago. It was barely packaged and I'm surprised it survived. I also won the IBM 5153 monitor, but it was also packaged poorly and was completely destroyed when I received it. It's a shame, as I wanted these to be together as a set. I got refunded, but I would rather have had the monitor.

I've played around a bit with the PC, unfortunately, someone dug out the chips from the PLCC sockets on the EGA card and bus mouse card, and they damaged one of the IC's on the FDD controller, so those items are beyond repair. For some reason, the original MFM hard drive was removed, which I know is somewhat standard policy at Goodwill, though on these older machines it hurts the integrity of the item much more significantly than many other PC's so I wish they'd re-think their strategy on this.

I have a couple other PC's from this era, so I'm going to do my best to cobble together this thing to try to restore it. IBM MFM hard drives can be found on ebay fairly easily, but the real bummer was the monitor as they are anywhere from $100 to $200 for the 5153, and an EGA monitor (particularly a 5154) is nearly impossible to find, so I might just try to get a Mach 8 or Paradise VGA card instead, though it would have been nice to preserve this machine as it was.

I'll update if you're interested in whether or not I'm able to get this thing back up and running again.

Thank you for the info, it was helpful.

I was not able to get it to display, boot or beep. Fan on power supply does spin.

This machine was received as a donation and has been posted for auction on our site (where I work). The IBM 5153 monitor was listed in a separate auction. The keyboard auction ends 4/19/2016.

I would have loved to troubleshoot this one further, but we have a limited amount of time that we spend on each item.

The fun will have to go the winner of the auction. Hopefully, we get a bid and it goes to a good home.

Thanks again.

itadvantage
July 12th, 2016, 12:19 PM
Well, it's been about a month now and I was actually able to fully resurrect this machine. I purchased a replacement AST Sixpack Plus and was able to get this machine up to 640k of RAM. I purchased a Paradise '88 VGA card and it works perfectly well with it, and I don't now need to scrounge up an EGA monitor which are hard to find. Unfortunately the installed EGA card was completely destroyed as someone dug out the chips from the board, breaking the sockets in the process. I suppose I could have desoldered and replaced the sockets, then sourced some replacement chips, but I wanted to go VGA anyway, so I just went that route. I then got a WD25 type 13 MFM hard drive and LLF, partitioned and formatted it and it boots up nicely to DOS 6.22.

I then tackled the floppy drive issue. This system has a nice PII-151b floppy controller, but as in all the other cards on here, it was yanked out so it would only read 720k formatted disks. For convenience sake and to complete the restore of this machine to the condition I received it, I really wanted to replace the BIOS chip with the original. Since the DIP socket was a DIP 28, and the board indicated that it used a 2764A DIP chip, I was able to order an eprom programmer and a lot of 2764A eeprom chips from ebay, and along with the PII-151b BIOS that someone dumped, I was able to flash the BIOS to the chip and the floppy now reads HD floppy disks.

I was able to play a couple games like King's Quest 1, Space Quest, etc. so it seems to be working properly with the VGA card, which is a relief. I tried F19 Stealth Fighter, and it's just too much for the 8088 4.77Mhz chip, so I'll have to limit gaming to the XT variety. It was still a cool project, and I'm glad I was able to get it working again.

One cool thing I found was that it came with a PCL-711 I/O card that appears to not have been destroyed like the other cards were. I don't really have a use for it, but it was neat to find in here nonetheless.

bobba84
July 12th, 2016, 04:30 PM
Awesome! It's a great feeling to get something working perfectly again! Would love to see some pics of the completed product! :)

itadvantage
July 14th, 2016, 09:04 PM
Thanks! Here are a few shots of the cards I used, the innards and what it looks like with the case on now. I'll get some shots of some game footage, it was kind of giving me problems when I was taking these shots. Also, unfortunately the 20MB hard drive gave up on me, but I had a 10MB drive handy and it seems to be working fine. Note the BIOS screen that enables the 1.44MB HD floppy drive during POST. Also, the Math Coprocessor looks pretty cool in there. I'm glad I was able to salvage this little guy and get it running again. Brought back a lot of memories, some of which I'm glad we don't have to deal with any more ;)
32043320443204532046320473204832049320503205132052 320533205432055320563205732058

itadvantage
July 14th, 2016, 09:19 PM
These are sad photos, but these are of the 5153 monitor that went with this computer that I also won but was destroyed in shipping :( No saving this one.

DDS
July 15th, 2016, 11:08 AM
United Parcel Smashers?

NeXT
July 15th, 2016, 12:10 PM
It looks more like the packing quality was exceptionally poor.

bobba84
July 17th, 2016, 04:09 PM
Your machine looks awesome!

Sad to see old equipment damaged like that. Does it work when plugged in? I remember seeing someone glue a 5151 back together that arrived like that!

Bobby.

itadvantage
July 20th, 2016, 12:38 PM
More like Lazy Goodwill Packers :D But it's cool, shit happens...at least they refunded me, but honestly I would rather have had the monitor intact.

itadvantage
July 20th, 2016, 12:44 PM
Your machine looks awesome!

Sad to see old equipment damaged like that. Does it work when plugged in? I remember seeing someone glue a 5151 back together that arrived like that!

Bobby.

Honestly, I didn't even try. If you look where the CRT gun is in the far back, it's broken off so it wasn't just the case that was smashed, the CRT components themselves were. I don't like high voltage :) so I didn't want to take a chance on getting the shit shocked out of me. I worked at a Micro Center back in the 90's and we used to have to work on monitors sometimes and we had several guys that were bit by CRT's that weren't properly grounded first. Someone told me a story of a guy who took the grounding tool and clipped it to the wire we used to attach our ESD straps. LOL. Bunch of guys suddenly shot across the floor in their wheely chairs. LOL.

itadvantage
July 20th, 2016, 12:47 PM
It looks more like the packing quality was exceptionally poor.

Exactly this, which is unusual in that most of the stuff I get from Goodwill is exceptionally packed. I've gotten a huge box that I forgot what I ordered, pulled it all apart, and it turned out to be a floppy disk game packed 3 feet deep in tape and bubble wrap! :D

bobba84
July 20th, 2016, 04:24 PM
You're right... I didn't realise the back of the tube was broken. Definitely dead. Unless you found a non-smashed one that needed parts?

getting the shit shocked out of me
Yeah, that wouldn't be good!

itadvantage
July 20th, 2016, 05:59 PM
You're right... I didn't realise the back of the tube was broken. Definitely dead. Unless you found a non-smashed one that needed parts?

Yeah that's true, there were some parts that weren't damaged and certainly could be salvaged for a future repair project. I'm not gonna lie though, when I first opened the box I almost passed out. :o:D

bobba84
July 20th, 2016, 06:14 PM
Absolute Sacrilege.