PDA

View Full Version : Odd IBM 5150 Keyboard

tempest
April 13th, 2016, 04:37 PM
I've come into possession on an odd looking IBM 5150 keyboard. I say it's odd because it's industrial gray instead of beige and the keyboard mechanism seems to be different than the usual Model F keyboard. Unfortunately the spacebar is missing. I was hoping I could just snag a spacebar off a Model M or something, but as I said the mechs look different. Here are some pictures:

Overview:

Closeup of the spacebar mech:

I popped the ALT key off so you can see what a complete mechanism looks like:

Any ideas where this thing came from or how I can find a replacement spacebar?

snuci
April 13th, 2016, 04:59 PM
Sweet keyboard! The keyboard mechanism is not a typical Model F as is in the normal 5150 keyboards but one made by Oak. The FTM stands for "Full travel membrane" and you can read information on this at https://deskthority.net/wiki/Oak_Full-Travel_Membrane

The likelihood of replacing the space bar is pretty remote but you might experiment with a Sun Type 3 keyboard as shown here: http://kbd.rzw.jp/membrane/sun_type3/ It might be just Japanese versions and the odds of the spacebar fitting are not great either.

Do what you can to get this keyboard back to one piece. It is rare. If you do give up, let me know. I'd do my best to try to restore it with some experimentation.

tempest
April 14th, 2016, 06:02 AM
So what did this keyboard originally go to? It came with an old 5150 I picked up.

I don't see how I'm going to be able to fix this on my own, but I'd gladly trade it for a nice clean working Model F to use with my 5150.

snuci
April 14th, 2016, 06:39 AM
So what did this keyboard originally go to? It came with an old 5150 I picked up.

I don't see how I'm going to be able to fix this on my own, but I'd gladly trade it for a nice clean working Model F to use with my 5150.

I don't really know what it went with. I know what the later industrial model M's went with but not this one.

I will be happy to trade you a clean working Model F. I'll PM you to get your shipping details.