PDA

View Full Version : Question about the RAID

amlife
November 21st, 2006, 09:03 PM
Hello geeks

I need your help with this ! I'm willing to purchase a PCI RAID controler to ( Merge ) between my two ATA hard Drivers physically ;) .

This is how it's look like

http://www.uauctionsource.com/picture/P06_0.jpg

what I need to know is, do I need to care about the mother board type ? will all motherboards supported ? as long as it's a PCI card.

the configurations which I need to do after installing the card will be only in the OS or on the BIOS to ?

Thanks

chuckcmagee
November 21st, 2006, 09:14 PM
Howdy back, not sure if you noticed but this forum is for OLD computers. Anyway, I'm a Certified Novell Engineer and even I really never understood RAID all that well. I know I wasn't suppose to lose data using it but 2 out of the 3 times I lost 1 drive out of 7, I lost data when that one drive died.

Unknown_K
November 22nd, 2006, 12:35 AM
At first I thaught this post was spam, but who knows.

These inexpensive RAID cards have a BIOS that allows you to span drives (take 2 to 4 smaller drives of any model and make one big one), or do RAID 0 striping (take 2 drives of the same model and put half your data on each one so that when you read the data you get 2x the speed).

Since you are using a BIOS the spanned drives will work with any operating system.

amlife
November 22nd, 2006, 04:00 AM
Thanks ... alot this is all what I wanted to know :)