PDA

View Full Version : Found a Raytheon PTS-100 VDU

byates
April 15th, 2016, 07:50 PM
Nothing to get excited about by itself, just a monitor with no intelligence. But I am wondering about the system. Found little on the web. Anyone have some pointers??:confused:

Don Quixote
April 12th, 2017, 04:21 AM
Nothing to get excited about by itself, just a monitor with no intelligence. But I am wondering about the system. Found little on the web. Anyone have some pointers??:confused:

I used these terminals to process SPARC pick cards to find and deliver parts while I worked in stock at Eastern Air Lines from 1976 to 1986.
EAL actually had a quite sophisticated system. Various stock rooms had terminals which would receive parts request and print out a SPARC pick card. In SR7 (small parts room), there were about 10 aisles with parts and a terminal for each aisle. I would scan the card and the computer would instruct a machine to roll back and forth down the aisle, stop, elevate to a certain drawer, pull it out, bring it to me, I would retrieve the part, scan the card as picked, then put the part in a bag, attach the pick card, and put it on a conveyor belt. At the end of the belt, the bag would be put in a pneumatic tube and be delivered, by air pressure, to various repair hangers on the base. I loved that job. Here is a 1983 article on EAL.

https://books.google.com/books?id=1g0kDl22qwAC&pg=PA7&lpg=PA7&dq=raytheon+computer+%22eastern+airlines%22&source=bl&ots=_UqUajIO92&sig=gRccMDT8Q8rlgKvpZAxjBp_uiN8&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi2xLyX7Z7TAhWJ7iYKHf62C14Q6AEIOjAE#v=on epage&q=raytheon%20computer%20%22eastern%20airlines%22&f=false

I still have one of the EAL parts catalogs. I was fired in 1986 as a part of the system wide crack down on union shop stewards.
Took my lawsuit all the way to SCOTUS and all I found there was BOHICA.

Anyway I loved the challenge of learning all the input codes / phrases to retrieve information.

Bruce Toski
Fort Lauderdale, Florida