PDA

View Full Version : Hardest 'Lander' game ever?

falter
April 20th, 2016, 09:14 PM
Lunar/Jupiter Lander games seem to be one of those constants, alongside Star Trek with vintage computers. After getting my Digital Group Z80 running I happened upon byte collector's DG software archive and found a Lunar Lander.

I have to say, I wasn't terribly impressed.. until I really tried landing the thing. The instructions and the byte collector site warn it is difficult.. and man.. they weren't kidding. Anyway.. I'm now addicted to it. Which means the Z80 is getting use. But anyway.. what in your opinion is the hardest variant of the lander theme out there? Or best? For which machine? Why?

For me it's the controls. L to pitch left, R to pitch right.. you really have to watch your horizontal and vertical movement rates.. the 'graphics' are almost a distraction. If you give it too much gas it may be impossible to get the lander down (it'll fly off into space), even if you cut the throttle to zero. When you get to a certain elevatiom the scenery transitions to a close up of your landing spot and suddenly the lander is moving way faster than before. I've had many attempts where it's looking good up to the close up and then it plunges to a fiery death. Best part is this message if you stray too far to the left or right of the moon: YOU'VE CRASHED INTO THE SIDE OF THE MOON. Baha. At any rate.. in two weeks of trying I have not once made it safely down. Hands down the hardest lander game I've ever played.

ScutBoy
April 21st, 2016, 07:02 AM
Ask SpaceX - they'll tell you how hard it is!

;)

commodorejohn
April 21st, 2016, 08:50 AM
The hardest "Lunar Lander" I ever played was a text-based one written in MacBasic that used a FOR-NEXT loop as a delay timer and didn't realize that it was running on a 16MHz 68030 rather than an 8MHz 68000 :D