PDA

View Full Version : Quantum Prodrive LPS240 SCSI HDD firmware

pcdata76
April 23rd, 2016, 04:16 AM
Hi,

I've got a SCSI Quantum Prodrive LPS HDD with 240MB of capacity. On the disk there is a label with "Apple logo-230" and another with "EPROM 1992-Apple logo" written on it. I think it is a drive made for apple computers (i have no any knowledge on them) and seems to has a different firmware.

The problem is: None of the computers which i've tried didn't recognized the drive. I see the name of the disk after initialization of SCSI BIOS but it does not assign a drive letter as in the case with other SCSI disks which i've used, so neither DOS nor windows 9x gives a drive letter. I've tried with several ISA and PCI SCSI cards, and different computers. Fdisk and partition magic does not recognize the drive at all. I think the problem is apple firmware which is stored most probably in the 27C256 ROM located on drive PCB.

Is there any way to use this disk with PC and compatibles, could i find a rom dump for it anywhere?

george
April 23rd, 2016, 11:58 PM
You should repartition the drive with PC compatible partitions.

pcdata76
April 24th, 2016, 07:57 AM
Unfortunately does not work. Fdisk throws "No Fixed Disk Present" message. Partitionmagic also could not detect the drive. Otherwise, i should see the partitions in apple's file system, at least with partition magic.

Stone
April 24th, 2016, 08:18 AM
It sounds like the drive is dead.

FDISK should recognize it if it's still functional. Even if it's not a DOS drive FDISK will report the partition as a 'NON-DOS Partition' which it can remove if so desired.

Chuck(G)
April 24th, 2016, 09:05 AM
I've got one of those drives in my Performa 6100; it bears the legend "Firmware copyright 1993", so that might be useful. I can read the drive under Linux using an Adaptec AHA-2940 adapter. Tell me how to get the firmware off of it and I'll be happy to assist.

george
April 24th, 2016, 09:11 AM
Format the drive with the PC's SCSI controller BIOS format/verify utility. Disregard the Stone's post!

pcdata76
April 26th, 2016, 02:59 AM
I've got one of those drives in my Performa 6100; it bears the legend "Firmware copyright 1993", so that might be useful. I can read the drive under Linux using an Adaptec AHA-2940 adapter. Tell me how to get the firmware off of it and I'll be happy to assist.

The firmware is located in the 27C256 PROM (not soldered, socketed) at the center of the drive board. There is usually a label with revision and "DisCache" written on it. I've dumped using an EPROM reader/programmer to check the firmware and saw that there are strings with "APPLE COMPUTER INC." etc. in it. So disk has a different APPLE firmware definitely, which limits the usage on macs, i think.

njroadfan
April 26th, 2016, 04:10 AM
The different firmware shouldn't be an issue, its mostly for Apple's Drive Setup to ID the drive as OEM and format/partition it. Those ProDrives have mostly failed by now, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was dead. A rubber bumper in the drive turns the mush and causes the heads to get stuck in the parked position.

pcdata76
April 26th, 2016, 04:29 AM
Hmm, drive spins up well but i have no idea about head movement. I'll check it audibly, or I can loose the screws and look inside from a little opening at the bathroom for head movement.