PDA

View Full Version : CoCo EDTASM.BIN file

chuckcmagee
November 22nd, 2006, 05:15 PM
*put cussing here* If anyone has a copy of EDTASM.BIN for the CoCo, please attach to an email and send it to me.

chuckcmagee <at> msn DOT com

I just got the manual and the 5.25 disk off of ebay, and, OF COURSE, there is a bad sector right in the middle of the EDTASM.BIN file. I tried to copy it on 3 different drives with no luck.

EDIT: I am about "there" now. I managed to get an image file onto a 3.5 floppy. Now just get to put a 3.5 drive inside a FD 501 case and hope the CoCo can control the drive. I gave away all my PC 5.25" drives long ago.

chuckcmagee
December 3rd, 2006, 09:40 PM
It works, it works! If I have the right kind of DSK image file (one that it just pure sector data with all the sector preamble crud) it works perfect. Nice having a 3.5" drive that works on the CoCos.

chuckcmagee
December 4th, 2006, 03:45 AM
P.S. You can use the emulator to convert the images that have all that preamble stuff in them into the right kind of dsk image for programs like multiflop. Just mount the "bad" dsk image on drive 0 and any dsk image that is the right size on drive 1, then do a "backup 0 to 1" in the emulator. Works great.

Of course, you then have to take the correct image and make a real floppy out of it using multiflop or some other program.

chuckcmagee
December 4th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Robert Gault over at CoCo3.com informs me that the disk images with the sector preamble stuff in them are designed for use in the emulator, the others have only the sector data in them.

Unfortunately, both kinds end with a .dsk extension so you have to take a hex dump of the first part of the file to see if there is strings of 4Es in there. That's the sector preamble stuff.