PDA

View Full Version : EGA/CGA to VGA board

SMichelsen
April 26th, 2016, 01:20 PM
Does anyone have any experience / suggestions / opinion on boards like this one, for converting EGA/CGA to VGA? It would be convenient for me to use a flatscreen monitor when monkeying with my mid '80s hardware.

Stone
April 26th, 2016, 01:36 PM
What about using a VGA card directly instead?

geoffm3
April 26th, 2016, 01:38 PM
I'm curious myself... it's been mentioned before that "CGA" in this respect may not mean CGA in the RGBI sense... arcade operators also used this terminology for 15kHz analog RGB (a la Atari ST, Amiga, Apple IIgs).

Osgeld
April 26th, 2016, 03:27 PM
we have a couple old assembly lines where machines are controlled by AT machines with monochrome text only displays, when the crt finally gets to the point of "cant even tell where the line is in relation to the sharpie on the screen" we replace them with LCD's and those gizmo's

works fine on no name beige box with 9 pin mono screens displaying text only, unfortunately that's the extent of my experience with them

wesleyfurr
April 28th, 2016, 07:14 PM
No, that won't work for PC type CGA, which is TTL digital rather than RGB analog. There's a thread or two around about options, if you can't find it, I'll try to dig it up. Basically, what I have that works is the Commodore 128 adapter that has been created in a couple of versions...not expensive to build (at least the bare board I got and built a while back)...that converts to RGB basically, then you feed that into the GBS-8220 type device to convert it to VGA. I have not tested it with EGA, but I gather that some modes work and some don't.

Wesley

Great Hierophant
April 30th, 2016, 08:04 PM
No, that won't work for PC type CGA, which is TTL digital rather than RGB analog. There's a thread or two around about options, if you can't find it, I'll try to dig it up. Basically, what I have that works is the Commodore 128 adapter that has been created in a couple of versions...not expensive to build (at least the bare board I got and built a while back)...that converts to RGB basically, then you feed that into the GBS-8220 type device to convert it to VGA. I have not tested it with EGA, but I gather that some modes work and some don't.

Wesley

EGA text modes and 16-color graphics modes (including CGA compatible modes) work with the converter. 64-color graphic modes do not, and you may find it difficult to convert 350-line text and graphics modes to VGA.

What is the source for your bare board and is it still available? I know there is a surface-mount fully populated board available, but I will never give that particular seller a dime.