PDA

View Full Version : 5160 with ISA CF (lo-tech) won't boot

frax
May 6th, 2016, 11:40 AM
Just built an ISA CompactFlash card I bought from lo-tech. Seems to work just fine, finds my CF-card as IDE master.
Booted from the only floppies I have, MS-DOS 4.0.1, ran fdisk, no problems, partition active.
format c: /s no problems there either, dir c: show the expected files but...

After Crtl+alt+del or a cold boot I can't boot from c: XT-IDE bios just hangs after C>>C.

Any ideas?

Hardware is plain 5160 first version MB and bios, 256k (yes) RAM, noname EGA and a standard IBM floppy controller for one 360k drive. Everything else removed.
The adapter card is running XTIDE v2.0.0β3+

Krille
May 6th, 2016, 11:48 AM
Boot from a MS-DOS 5 (or newer) floppy and run FDISK /MBR

frax
May 6th, 2016, 11:56 AM
I only have 4.0.1 :( A well, if that will fix it, i'll just have to find a newer Dos.

Jimmy
May 6th, 2016, 11:57 AM
Download James WipeDisk utility from https://www.lo-tech.co.uk/wiki/WipeDisk run the WipeDisk utility and then rerun FDISK. You should then be able to Format the CF CARD with the /S option to transfer the system and have a bootable CF CARD.

Good luck,

Jimmy

pearce_jj
May 6th, 2016, 12:24 PM
what they said :)

fs5500
May 6th, 2016, 01:00 PM
I only have 4.0.1 :( A well, if that will fix it, i'll just have to find a newer Dos.

You can find MS-DOS 6.22 by google.

frax
May 6th, 2016, 01:04 PM
I currently have no way to transfer software to the XT. Im working on that to :)

Krille
May 6th, 2016, 01:15 PM
I currently have no way to transfer software to the XT. Im working on that to :)

Do you have a null modem cable? If so, you can boot directly from a disk image on a Windows machine.

Jimmy
May 6th, 2016, 01:22 PM
Frax:

If all else fails where are you located, I will mail you a MS Dos 6.22 bootable floppy diskette with James Pierce's WipeDisk utility.

If you can transfer by a serial cable, James Pearce's (lo-tech) WipeDisk Utility is only 6K.

Jimmy

Jimmy
May 6th, 2016, 01:23 PM
Frax:

If all else fails where are you located, I will mail you a MS Dos 6.22 bootable floppy diskette with James Pierce's WipeDisk utility.

If you can transfer by a serial cable, James Pearce's (lo-tech) WipeDisk Utility is only 6K.

Jimmy

frax
May 6th, 2016, 10:19 PM
Success :) I did two thing so I'm not sure which one actually solved the problem but...
I did a wipe, on my OS X using dd if=/dev/zero to CF-card, kinda like James Wipedisk, just write zeros to the first sectors.
And I reduced the size of the partition from full 2GB to 200MB.

Viola, now it boots just fine :)

I'll try to max to the partition to 2GB and see if it fails again.

@Jimmy, thanks a lot, looks like I'm good for now.

frax
May 7th, 2016, 10:26 AM
Yep, it was the wipe that did it.