PDA

View Full Version : CDTV: console model??

NathanAllan
November 24th, 2006, 09:36 AM
I found this on ebay and have never seen one like this! What the heck is it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/COMMODORE-CDTV-Console-CD-1000-Floppy-Drive-CDs_W0QQitemZ160055304914QQihZ006QQcategoryZ4598QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm not going after it cause I know parts would be next to impossible to get. Somebody here may be interested though. And I really am curious as to what this thing is.

nathan

carlsson
November 24th, 2006, 01:34 PM
CDTV is an Amiga 500 built inside a CD player, to put it in a cynical way. Basically, it was Commodore's very early attempt to build a multi-media computer using the CD media, mainly useful for encyclopedias and such. Maybe you know about Philips CD-i which is a similar competitor from the same era? The CDTV cost a lot of money to develop, and perhaps was a first step towards the bankrupcy three-four years later. At one point in time, Commodore actually made a profit, and it was right before they decided to steer into the virgin multi-media sector.

The CDTV is quite collectable, but I don't know how useful it is. As you can see, this unit comes with a floppy drive so you could run Amiga floppies as well as CD:s.

A few years later, Commodore tried again with the CD32, which is more like a CD based video game based on the Amiga 1200 (think Sega MegaCD, Jaguar etc - and of course PlayStation a little later). It was more successful than the CDTV, but arrived a bit too late to help the sinking ship.