PDA

View Full Version : XT-CF Lite Card with an IBM PS/2 Model 25-286

magicalsavant
May 20th, 2016, 03:22 PM
I've been trying unsuccessfully for two months to solder together a working XT-CF Lite v4 (http://www.malinov.com/Home/sergeys-projects/xt-cf-lite) card to use in my IBM PS/2 Model 25-286. I've started from scratch with 3 different PCBs using new parts each time but it will not work. I boot the machine, it POSTs fine, then the XTIDE boot ROM menu comes up looking for a master then slave at 300h. Oddly, it does not obey the SW1 IO_ADDR dip switches: Regardless of how I have them set, it always looks for 300h. The SW2 ROM_CONFIG dip switches appear to work as the ROM address will change when flipping those.

I've tried two different CF Cards from different manufacturers and that doesn't make a bit of difference.

The ROM chip is flashed with XTIDE Universal BIOS 2.0.0b3.

I have been attributing it not working to my poor soldering skills, but considering I have the same problem each time, I'm curious if it is something else. (By the third board, my soldering skills have improved. So, there has been something positive to come out of this endeavor.)

Any help or advice as to how to get the unit up and running would be greatly appreciated.

Stone
May 20th, 2016, 03:33 PM
I would suggest that you get the card working with a real drive or at least a DOM before blaming the card as CFs are known to be a Royal PITA in this type of configuration.

But if the card only supports CF I guess you're outta luck on that one.

I guess using a pre-configured CF card might be the best option.

modem7
May 20th, 2016, 11:15 PM
I boot the machine, it POSTs fine, then the XTIDE boot ROM menu comes up looking for a master then slave at 300h. Oddly, it does not obey the SW1 IO_ADDR dip switches: Regardless of how I have them set, it always looks for 300h.
To me, this sounds like you are unaware that after altering the card's I/O base address, there is a requirement to reconfigure the XTIDE Universal BIOS to reflect the new I/O address.

Malc
May 20th, 2016, 11:35 PM
I've been trying unsuccessfully for two months to solder together a working XT-CF Lite v4 (http://www.malinov.com/Home/sergeys-projects/xt-cf-lite) card to use in my IBM PS/2 Model 25-286. I've started from scratch with 3 different PCBs using new parts each time but it will not work. I boot the machine, it POSTs fine, then the XTIDE boot ROM menu comes up looking for a master then slave at 300h. Oddly, it does not obey the SW1 IO_ADDR dip switches: Regardless of how I have them set, it always looks for 300h. The SW2 ROM_CONFIG dip switches appear to work as the ROM address will change when flipping those.

If you change the IO base Address on the card, You must Re-configure the bios to reflect the change and Re-flash.

I've tried two different CF Cards from different manufacturers and that doesn't make a bit of difference.

The ROM chip is flashed with XTIDE Universal BIOS 2.0.0b3.

Where did you get the binary from ?, If you got it from the google code site it's too old, Try the customised binary available on sergey's site.

pearce_jj
May 20th, 2016, 11:53 PM
I would suggest that you get the card working with a real drive or at least a DOM before blaming the card as CFs are known to be a Royal PITA in this type of configuration.

only a very small percentage of CompactFlash cards fail to implement 8 bit transfer mode correctly; device compatibility should be pretty good.

Check you have an HCT bus transceiver fitted then turn your attention to the CF slot itself. The technique I use for these is to apply a smear of FL22 all the way along, then apply solder all the way along (don't worry if it turns into one massive solder pad) then using more FL22 and wick to draw the excess off. Sometimes solder can be drawn up the pins away from the board, so check there for shorts as well.

Also - check 300-31Fh is actually available in the machine.

Good luck!