PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a specific case for an XT or AT

luckybob
May 23rd, 2016, 10:15 PM
This is one of those things that has been bouncing around in my skull for quite some time. Honestly, I did not want to ask, for fear of looking like some sort of crackpot.

I remember in my youth, I had gotten an old XT/AT clone. I remember it looking very much like the IBM at case. However where the IBM badge would be, was an LED readout. If memory serves, it was a bog-standard clone. The case was special however as the LEDs would show a readout of the hard drive controller. For some reason it would display which drive was last accessed and what address. At least I assume it was an address. I was too young and uneducated to know it was HEX. Sadly, like most of the equipment I got my grubby hands on, I took it apart and it never worked again. :(

I am hoping someone here has one of these cases or a picture. All I hope for, at the least, is for someone out there to have seen what I have and I'm not delusional. And for the record it was NOT an IBM model 95. It was definitely an XT maybe an AT. I never got my hands on anything like a 486 until well into the pentium 2 era.

bobba84
May 23rd, 2016, 10:18 PM
It could have been something hooked up to display POST hex codes?

luckybob
May 23rd, 2016, 10:49 PM
It wasnt post codes. I distinctly remember it having the drive letter like so: " C: ## ## ## ## "

dabone
May 24th, 2016, 03:28 AM
Did the early dells have a display like that?
(PC Limited)

Not exactly what you are describing...

http://williambader.com/museum/dell/22dell310-325.jpg

Later,
dabone

bear
May 24th, 2016, 07:39 AM
You're thinking of Everex STEP. I'm not sure any other vendor did that. It was updated by the ROM BIOS, so it only works to show you what the BIOS calls are doing (i.e. it only works in DOS, and maybe CP/M).

luckybob
May 24th, 2016, 08:39 AM
thanks bear! I don't know if this is exactly an everex step, but it did come up in the google image search:

http://i.imgur.com/JUC7iUs.jpg

Now all I need to do is find a working one. I'm like 90% sure this is what i'm looking for. No idea why, I just need to. Also, I don't recall it being a 486. I was almost certain it was an xt class machine. Anyway, i'm not going to argue. Thanks for making me not feel crazy, Bear.

HoJoPo
May 24th, 2016, 08:42 AM
You're thinking of Everex STEP. I'm not sure any other vendor did that. It was updated by the ROM BIOS, so it only works to show you what the BIOS calls are doing (i.e. it only works in DOS, and maybe CP/M).

Back in college (1992), my boss had a brand new Dell 450DE EISA bus 486DX/50 system, which had a similar display to the Everex one mentioned. I don't remember any other Dells than the 433DE/450DE/466DE having them, though.

bear
May 24th, 2016, 09:47 AM
There were STEP 386es and STEP 286es as well. Dunno about 8088s though. Maybe.