PDA

View Full Version : Small application (needs to fit in 256KB) for serial file transfer.

dadecoza
June 9th, 2016, 03:54 AM
Hi Guys,

(my first post!)

I would like to copy files to my old 8088 computer using the serial port but non of the applications I tried fits into memory.

I have tried Kermit, Baudwalk and Laplink 3.

I would prefer to use something that uses the xmodem, zmodem, kermit type protocols as I can then use something like Tera Term on my Windows 7 laptop to copy the files over (laplink 3 does not work on win7).

I'm running dos 3.3.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Stone
June 9th, 2016, 05:00 AM
I use a parallel port networking program that only uses 30K on the workstation but it (obviously) requires parallel ports.

EagleTG
June 9th, 2016, 06:02 AM
I've always been a huge fan of the old FastLynx program. I purchased it in a retail box waaaay back and kept upgrading to their latest versions. Among being one of the fastest transfer programs, it also had the awesome ability to transfer itself to the slave machine without any software installed. The only issue is that I can't seem to find a "minimum system requirements" for the DOS slave program for the Windows version of FastLynx v3.3 nor the latest DOS FastLynx v2.01.

Because I don't know the minimum requirements, I'm unsure if it'll work for your purposes. The other "drawback" is that FastLynx is still commercial software, but it's cheap and v3.3 includes a license for the DOS v2.01.

I also feel the need to plug the Xircom Pocket Ethernet III Parallel port network adapter here. It's perfect for this sort of thing, and the software is quick and easy. I know it's very popular on some of the older/more limited systems such as the IBM PCjr. Edit: Ahh, nevermind, I saw you specified serial and then I just re-read Stone's post above.

Edit 2: I just found this, looks promising as well: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?13430-Program-to-Transfer-Files-from-Modern-Machine-to-PC&p=81696#post81696

Edit 3: This looks REALLY promising... https://sites.google.com/site/vdeeditor/Home/vde-files (at the bottom of the page titled "Zip File Transfer utility by Eric Meyer"). Readme states that it supports DOS 3.x

Hope this helps!
-Todd

dadecoza
June 9th, 2016, 07:10 AM
@EagleTG thanks for the great reply!

I had a chat with @Thrashbarg on IRC and he suggested pckermit ftp://kermit.columbia.edu/kermit/binaries/mskermit/pckermit.exe . Which is only 16.3KB and is exactly what I was looking for.

Success! (sorry for the blurry photo)