PDA

View Full Version : M600 Basic (again)

chuckcmagee
November 27th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Any progress on coming up with a Basic ROM for the M600? I'm thinking of getting one on ebay but kind of stupid if the Basic is impossible to come by!

EDIT: Ack, forget it. Looks like trying to find the ROM and/or more RAM is a nightmare.

kb2syd
November 28th, 2006, 07:12 AM
I've had no luck. In the 3 m600's I have, none have expanded memory nor the basic ROM. I'm still looking though.

curtis
November 28th, 2006, 09:16 AM
I've had no luck. In the 3 m600's I have, none have expanded memory nor the basic ROM. I'm still looking though.

The M600 BASIC is hard to find. However, as of a couple of years ago, you could still order it from Tandy/RS. Of course, they want $99 for it!

It's even harder to find the Utilities disk!

Curtis

kb2syd
November 28th, 2006, 10:13 AM
I have the utilities disk. I can image it and send it as a .imd file, or I can copy it directly and mail it.

chuckcmagee
November 28th, 2006, 02:24 PM
I got in touch with Larry Berg of Purple Computing. He says he likely still has some expansion ram and maybe even a basic rom. I asked him for some prices and told him that I had NOT purchased the M600 for fear of not finding either ram/rom. Depending on what he wants for them, I might buy them just because they are so hard to come by.

Hoping the M600 I was looking at gets relisted for a lower price. He want $100 min. for it. That a good price on a M600?

kb2syd
November 28th, 2006, 03:25 PM
If it is the one Marvin is selling, then yes. That's a great price. If someone else, then I don't know.

I got mine for around $50 shipped, but I just sat and waited for one to go cheeply. I used stealthbid and just waited.

Let us know if there are basic roms or memory available. I'd be interested in at least one of each, if not two of the memory cards.

chuckcmagee
November 28th, 2006, 03:28 PM
User id is ke6hts, hard to tell if that is a Marvin or not :rolleyes:

curtis
November 28th, 2006, 05:21 PM

I do believe it is Marvin. He had this on a while back and it didn't sell.

I contacted him and he said he was going to post it on the VCF marketplace. Guess he changed his mind.

Best way to find out...ASK!!!

Curtis

curtis
November 28th, 2006, 05:22 PM
I got in touch with Larry Berg of Purple Computing. He says he likely still has some expansion ram and maybe even a basic rom. I asked him for some prices and told him that I had NOT purchased the M600 for fear of not finding either ram/rom. Depending on what he wants for them, I might buy them just because they are so hard to come by.

Hoping the M600 I was looking at gets relisted for a lower price. He want $100 min. for it. That a good price on a M600?

IF it's as good as it looked, it's a touch overpriced, but not that bad. Especially if it has the BASIC ROM and the utility disk.

Curtis

kb2syd
November 28th, 2006, 06:06 PM

According to the ARRL, ke6hts = Marvin Jonhston

If I had the $100, I'd buy it with the Basic ROM.

chuckcmagee
November 28th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Listing did mention the utility disk but not a Basic ROM. I did ask if he was going to repost it. I found out about Purple too late, listing had already expired.

chuckcmagee
November 28th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Oh (slapping forehead) CALL LETTERS. Took awhile for ARRL to sink in.

NathanAllan
November 29th, 2006, 10:29 AM
I just inherited two M600's with one BASIC rom. The other one was a base model and seems to not want to work. No disks, though. I took m2 apart (the base one that seems to not work) and took a peek inside. There was no battery in there. Isn't there supposed to be one? They both weigh about the same, so I figure there's no battery in either one (other than the ram battery-- is it rechargable?) Since I just got these I haven't had much time to look up anything on tem yet. I do have the owner's manual, though.

Was there ever a terminal program for this thing? If so, where?

Nathan

ahm
November 29th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Was there ever a terminal program for this thing? If so, where?

According to this (http://www.digitaldinos.com/DigitalDinos/Pages/Information/docT600FAQ30.html#_Toc32664637), TELCOM is built-in.

kb2syd
November 29th, 2006, 05:47 PM
with one BASIC rom.

Nice score. Do you have any way to copy the ROM? I can get you a copy of the utility disk

I took m2 apart (the base one that seems to not work)

Did you try a hard reset? It takes a couple of fingers (and maybe even s few toes), but that brought one back to life for me.

NathanAllan
November 29th, 2006, 07:04 PM
That's the next thing I'm gonna try. That's how I got m1 working, gonna try that on m2 but it acted differently, with lots of junk on the screen. I'm gonna open it back up to see the specs of the chip, that was the first thing I thought of when I saw it, how to copy it and get copies out. Working...

NathanAllan
November 30th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Update.
The one that worked at first has been totally maxed out. It counts 220528 bytes ram free, and I looked inside and it does have the battery (big four D cells) and both ram slots filled. The previous owner really took the trouble back in the day. I also found a receipt where he bought a new battery for it in 1990 in the user manual for $80.

I've asked about copying the rom and have to open it back up and write down what I see (no. pins, what's on it) plus find out the specifics about it on the net. So I'm trying to get it copied, but gotta do homework first.

I did the hard reset on the second machine, the base one, and it works, too. So I have one base 600 and the other one is maxed out. Pretty neat.

chuckcmagee
November 30th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Yep, almost all the PC 8201As that I purchased had a still working nicad battery. I was totally amazed. One was totally dead so I dug up some AA sized nicads and soldered em in. Granted, some don't hold a charge all that long.

And YES, I'm jealous!! Take about a super score :!: :cool: Currently appears I'll have to get out my iron and solder together some expansion rams. Still talking with the Purple Computing guy. He's digging around out back for me. Looks like he's out of the connector where it snaps onto the motherboard. Not a biggie, google to the rescue again.

DoctorPepper
December 1st, 2006, 01:10 PM
KE6HTS is an Amateur Radio callsign. You can look them up on QRZ.com:

KE6HTS USA Lookups: 465
MARVIN D JOHNSTON
408 GROVE LN
SANTA BARBARA CA 93105
USA

chuckcmagee
December 2nd, 2006, 06:47 AM
I do believe it is Marvin. He had this on a while back and it didn't sell.

I contacted him and he said he was going to post it on the VCF marketplace. Guess he changed his mind.

Best way to find out...ASK!!!

Curtis

Hmm, it took Marvin 5 days to finally get back to me. Doing the lookup on ARRL.COM was much faster.