PDA

View Full Version : Tandy 1000-SL free RAM questions

DeathAdderSF
July 6th, 2016, 03:11 PM
Hello, all.

I just picked up a Tandy 1000-SL w/640kb RAM and am planning to run it with DOS 6.22.
There will be several small drivers loaded in at boot, though they will be needed frequently, not always.

What I'm wanting to know is if there are any memory managers or "tricks" available to me with this machine, to squeeze the most free RAM out of it as possible.
From what I recall, the average memory manager requires at least a 386, as do many (all?) of the simple methods I use on my 486.

Also I'd like to know if adding a RAM card such as Lo-tech's 1 or 2MB board would actually give me extended memory that could be detectable and usable by games and applications.

Tips appreciated, thanks.

Rick Ethridge
July 6th, 2016, 06:17 PM
I don't recommend using DOS 6.22. If you do you will overwrite DOS in ROM and Deskmate in ROM.

DeathAdderSF
July 6th, 2016, 07:45 PM
I don't recommend using DOS 6.22. If you do you will overwrite DOS in ROM and Deskmate in ROM.

Yes, thanks, I read that somewhere. But I'm not concerned with it. I have DOS 3.30 and Deskmate on disks; can always boot them if needed.

Trixter
July 7th, 2016, 01:35 PM
Also I'd like to know if adding a RAM card such as Lo-tech's 1 or 2MB board would actually give me extended memory that could be detectable and usable by games and applications.

The point is moot, as there are no games or applications that support XMS that would run on a Tandy 1000 SL. There are applications that support EMS that will work, but not games.

Even with several small TSRs loaded, you shouldn't have a problem running anything. For games that require 640KB to run on Tandy (Tandy-specific video modes steal DOS RAM), you can run a TSR manager like RESPRO or MARK/RELEASE to unload them when you don't need them, then maybe re-load them with a batch file when you need them. There are other things you can do, like running the Cutemouse mouse driver (4K) instead of Microsoft's driver (40K).

pearce_jj
July 8th, 2016, 03:52 PM
On the SL, 640k isn't 640K, rather 576 or so IIRC. With 8086, performance and expand ability are limited, but with EMS you can at least run Windows 3 OK, especially if you add solid stare storage and a V20.

DeathAdderSF
July 8th, 2016, 08:56 PM
Thanks.