PDA

View Full Version : New kaypro 2x boot problem

jmellidg
July 7th, 2016, 02:19 PM
I've recently bought a beautiful kaypro 2x, ROM version 81-478A. It boot up and I can see a clear message in the screen while drive A light it's on:

Kaypro corporation
Version 2.01

I don't have boot disks, but I try to build one from Internet images. First try with cpm version 2.2g , but later I read that the correct version was the universal one, the same for the kaypro 1, but cpm doesn't start.

I cleaned the heads, swap the drives but no success. I don't know really if there's a hardware or software problem. A drive seems to try to read the diskette when I close the door, but I'm a little bit lost.

Any help? Thanks in advance!!

EagleTG
July 7th, 2016, 05:26 PM
I'm guessing you used ImageDisk to write the disk images? http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/index.htm

Also, I'd try the following image, unless it's the one you already tried:
http://www.retroarchive.org/maslin/disks/kaypro/k2x22g.td0

This one has "2X" in the name, and is the 2.2g version. I don't see a Universal version 2.2g on the RetroArchive site.

Also, ImageDisk has a bunch of options. I'd really love to be able to recommend some of the settings, but I can't remember them as it's been a bit since I created my Kaypro disks. I do remember having to adjust a few settings from "default". :(

I also had great luck with 22DSK to write individual files to CP/M disks. :)

Edit: I'm sure you've seen it, but Tezza's site was infinitely helpful to me during the process of imaging disks for my fleet of Kaypros. http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/2010-03-24-kaypro-software-acquisition.htm

jmellidg
July 8th, 2016, 12:29 AM
Hi thanks for your answer. I tried to create the disks in imd. I tried teledisk too, but it wasn't able to write the disks. Anyway no works. I created previously a set of disk for an Osborne 1 and I had no problems.

Today I try to start with just one drive. I configure the jumpers like I think it's drive A and try to boot. For the first time I see in the screen a message about there's no system in the disk or something like this, so it seems that the former a unit works. I tried with the former b drive configured like a, and nothing happens, no new message.

Now, I don't know if it's a hardware or software problem.. So what do you think??

jmellidg
July 8th, 2016, 03:06 AM
I'm having problems trying to identify the exact model of the kaypro. The case says 2X, the rom is a 81-478A an the motherboard 81-181. I think that there's a strange combination, isn't it??

ldkraemer
July 8th, 2016, 03:25 AM
That file EagleTG referenced has the following information attached.

TD02IMD shows that disk image as:
S-step, 2 sides, 84 tracks 804 sectors converted and
Kaypro 2X System disk with selected additional files.

If you set IMD for:
cylinders 42
sides two
double-step off

and you are using a 40 Track floppy drive, does IMD write the k2x22g.imd to floppy with no errors? What errors does IMD show?

Also, take a quick look at your Floppy Drives and see how many read heads are connected to the circuit board on the floppy. It should
be two cables attached, but it's possible you have a floppy with just one read head.

I use alcohol on a cotton swab to clean the guide rails that the head assembly carriage slides on. Then I put a couple drops of
Dri-Slide, a Motorcycle Lubricant, on the guide rails to make them glide very easy on the guide rods.

If you carefully move the carriage assemble to about 1/2 travel, do you hear the head(s) assembly step on the next boot attempt?
Note that the Drive LED is just a SELECTED LED, as it only tells you what Drive [A..B] is selected.

Larry

jmellidg
July 8th, 2016, 06:00 AM
Hi, thank you all, I'll try to save again the disks. After a little investigation, my drives are an OKI GM3305 HU, as far as I know they don't appear in the technical reference.. so I don't know nothing about them, jumpers, trobleshooting, etc.. Someone knows somithing about this drives??

jmellidg
July 8th, 2016, 06:40 AM
Hi it works!! I write again the Universal Image with a brand new diskette, and now it works. I tried with the 2.2g but it doesn't work. I think that it's because the rom version (81-478A) Thanks to everybody!!

EagleTG
July 8th, 2016, 08:47 AM
I'm having problems trying to identify the exact model of the kaypro. The case says 2X, the rom is a 81-478A an the motherboard 81-181. I think that there's a strange combination, isn't it??

I tried for a while to figure out the methodologies Kaypro used, but I swear they were just selling whatever they had laying around... "That motherboard, this case, use that sticker on the box, who cares, just get it out the door! What, we don't have any of those ROMs left?! Use these instead, hurry! SHIP IT!!!"

Because quite literally nothing they did makes any sense whatsoever. Starting with but not limited to their part numbering/model numbering schemes.

Doesn't mean I don't love their products. :)

jltursan
July 10th, 2016, 11:06 PM
I tried for a while to figure out the methodologies Kaypro used, but I swear they were just selling whatever they had laying around... "That motherboard, this case, use that sticker on the box, who cares, just get it out the door! What, we don't have any of those ROMs left?! Use these instead, hurry! SHIP IT!!!"

Because quite literally nothing they did makes any sense whatsoever. Starting with but not limited to their part numbering/model numbering schemes.

Doesn't mean I don't love their products. :)

Absolutely agreed! :D

As jmellidg I was having a bad time with my Kaypro, strange mix of ROM and motherboard, strange case labels, greek (!) ROM and so on...
The boot disks were also hard to create, using IMD and some images eventually found the good one (in fact some of them).

I still need to investigate a hardware mod used, I guess, for banking the character ROM (latin/greek). Seems that the swapping is accesed by outputting some data to a port but I don't have enough Kaypro knowledge to achieve this. Being a soft switch if could be great to install a graphic ROM to emulate PETSCII or something graphically close :-)

Btw, congrats for getting this Kaypro running jmellidg, they're really rugged machines!