PDA

View Full Version : HP Pavilion 751n Question

Edlin
November 29th, 2006, 07:17 PM
I am ashamed to admitt but I have this computer, anyway, it has been going downhill since the day I got it, about 6 years ago. Actually it's not been a bad PC, but about 2 months ago, whenever I turned it off, it would not come on when I pressed the on button, I stumbled across opening it up and pressing on the edge of the motherboard where the on button plugs into, and it would come on, I fiddled with it, and found I could put my computer on standby, which I never used to do, and then I hit the keyboard and it would come on, my cats turned it on constantly. Finally, that quit working. I would put it on standby and no matter what I tried, it would not come on, I would have to unplug it, then open it up and press on the edge of the motherboard. Well I have now found that if I plug or unplug the the USB mouse in the front USB plug in, it will come out of standby, I wanted to know if anyone has come across this and what's the deal-e-o? Is it dying?

I understand if no one wants to reply.

Thank you,
Sandy

Vlad
November 29th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Moved to a better place. It sounds like it is probably on its way out. What do you mean by press the edge of the motherboard? Where are you pressing? Has this been pluged into an UPS or Surge Protecter? I have had something act like this before, it ended up dead in the end. It could be a loose connection on something if you press on something. Not enough info to tell yet.

-Vlad

ahm
November 29th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Sounds like a lifted or split trace on the motherboard.
Tricky to find and just as tricky to fix.

Edlin
November 30th, 2006, 08:21 AM
I'll always love Andy Kaufman