PDA

View Full Version : Anyone still use REXX under MS/PC-DOS?

Chuck(G)
July 23rd, 2016, 12:48 PM
I was wondering if a version of the REXX language was available for CP/M--apparently not, as nearly as I can determine--and it struck me how little REXX was discussed here, even though it's been around for most of DOS's existence.

Several free versions are available, including IBM's own packaged with PC DOS 7, so it's not a matter of cost.

Is it just a sign of the times that everyone wants click-and-shoot utilities? Really, if you haven't checked out REXX, you don't know what you're missing.

krebizfan
July 23rd, 2016, 01:18 PM
If you want lots of REXX discussion, check out more Amiga focused boards.

I think the problem for REXX in the context of the IBM PC was the public release not occurring until 1984 by which time other languages controlled the space. Another problem is REXX is big. Personal REXX from Mansfield needs a 128k just for itself, rather unworkable as a shell for DOS machines. Even BREXX which brags about its slimmed down low memory requirements needs more than 100k on DOS.

Chuck(G)
July 23rd, 2016, 02:42 PM
Interesting that REXX occupies the Amiga community more so than the IBM PC one, given that REXX started out as an IBM (mainframe) product. History is strange.

I've used the DOS version on and off, but found much of what I needed in the little known package CENVI (http://www.brent-noorda.com/nombas/bbs/share/docs/CENVI.DOC.txt) by Brent Noorda. Basically a C-type language integrated with the DOS command processor. Very cool.

yuhong
July 23rd, 2016, 04:14 PM
Interesting that REXX occupies the Amiga community more so than the IBM PC one, given that REXX started out as an IBM (mainframe) product. History is strange.
Of course, the OS/2 2.0 fiasco probably didn't help either.

g4ugm
July 24th, 2016, 05:07 AM
Microsoft made REXX with the NT 3.51 resource kit but charged for it. It was also available on their FTP site. Kix32 was widely used for Windows Scripting I guess as it was windows specific and had interfaces to Drive Mappings built in. I did some work with REXX on windows but it never seemed to match the platform as well as it did on VM/SP where it was so much better than the alternatives, it really was the only show in town.

njroadfan
July 24th, 2016, 07:57 PM
Can't say I ever played with REXX under PC-DOS. I have it on the Amiga though. Got quite a bit of use there for running various Video Toaster related scripts.

KC9UDX
July 25th, 2016, 07:15 AM
Arexx, based on REXX, is almost integral to the Amiga operating system. It's pretty amazing what you can do with it.

Before I wrote my web server in Pascal, I wrote it in Arexx.

I don't know how useful it is on an early PC, in comparison. The main advantage on the Amiga is that it's the common language for interprocess communication. Not only do Amiga applications call Arexx scripts, custom Arexx scripts can control many Amiga software applications.

My favorite use for Arexx is using my X10 software suite to control AmigaAMP, an MP3 player. So I can control the MP3 player from any of numerous remote controls throughout my house. Not so novel since everyone has a smartphone.

Unknown_K
July 25th, 2016, 09:28 AM
I have Watcom VX-REXX v2.0 (OS/2 I believe) is that the same thing ?

nc_mike
July 25th, 2016, 12:14 PM

I've used the DOS version on and off, but found much of what I needed in the little known package CENVI (http://www.brent-noorda.com/nombas/bbs/share/docs/CENVI.DOC.txt) by Brent Noorda. Basically a C-type language integrated with the DOS command processor. Very cool.

I haven't played with REXX since my IBM VM/CMS days. We used it heavily for writing text manipulation macros with SCRIPT and GML in VM XEDIT and had hundreds of macros to make working with SCRIPT/GML files quite fun and productive. I still have and use KEDIT from Mansfield which I think is was the best XEDIT clone for both DOS and Windows (and along with IBM FileList gives you a VM/CMS like environment). I think REXX is still supported inside with KEDIT.

Regards,
Mike