PDA

View Full Version : Boot disk for the ROM Board (Osborne) [see link inside] ?

giobbi
August 6th, 2016, 11:56 AM
Hello,

I have this card for the Osborne One:
http://susowa.homeftp.net/index.php/magazines-mainmenu/cfogs-pip-mainmenu-146/151-december-1986-volume-5-no-2-whole-no-50.html?start=3

Seems an interesting a useful card, but I haven't the boot disk...

Does anybody here has the utility disk and can send me an image by email?

thank you
Giovi

btw a picture of the card (CPU missing). It's plugged on the CPU socket:

giobbi
August 19th, 2016, 03:26 AM
The card has 8 x 27256 EPROMs used to store software (the board can also program the eprom itself).

I was wondering if the programs stored inside the EPROMs could be invoked calling them directly at some hex address, like the "G" command from the dos DEBUG (I must to admit I don't know much about that, but I used the G command to low-level format an MFM hard disk...).

Randy McLaughlin
August 19th, 2016, 08:05 AM
The card has 8 x 27256 EPROMs used to store software (the board can also program the eprom itself).

I was wondering if the programs stored inside the EPROMs could be invoked calling them directly at some hex address, like the "G" command from the dos DEBUG (I must to admit I don't know much about that, but I used the G command to low-level format an MFM hard disk...).

No the Osborne uses a banked switched memory system. Obviously this board takes advantage of it.

To access the ROMS obviously would have to be from high RAM, switch in ROM and copy data to high RAM and switch full RAM back in.

Randy

giobbi
August 19th, 2016, 01:32 PM
No the Osborne uses a banked switched memory system. Obviously this board takes advantage of it.

To access the ROMS obviously would have to be from high RAM, switch in ROM and copy data to high RAM and switch full RAM back in.

Randy

Ok, thank you. It means I need the original software for this board, that would probably be hard -or impossible- to find.