PDA

View Full Version : HP 21LC Minicomputer (seeking info)

TechnicalSteve
August 11th, 2016, 10:33 AM
Hi, All.

Do any of you know about this system? I've been all over the net, trying to find out about it.

What is/was it? What were its specs? When was it introduced/discontinued? Questions...questions. Alas, no answers.

So far, the best clue I've found about the 21LC has been a mere mention of that system's existence in an old internal HP document (a 1977 Engineering Requirement Specification*).

If you can share any details about the HP 21LC minicomputer, please reply. Your input would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

*That same ERS document also hints at an even more mysterious system called the "C5 micro-" (alternately called "C5 micro-computer" or "C5 micro-controller", depending upon the source). As it is apparently not a minicomputer, I'll start a thread about the "C5" system elsewhere on the forum. :)

krebizfan
August 11th, 2016, 10:41 AM
Is the document you are examining an original paper document or scanned and OCRed document? If the later, I suspect incorrect OCR and the actual system is the HP 2116.

gslick
August 11th, 2016, 10:55 AM
My only guess given the timeframe is this might be the HP 1000 L-Series introduced in 1980.

http://www.hpmuseum.net/display_item.php?hw=591

The HP 21-MX Series were introduced earlier in the 1970s

http://www.hpmuseum.net/exhibit.php?class=3&cat=33

TechnicalSteve
August 11th, 2016, 11:27 AM
@krebizfan
It is an original document I obtained from a former H-P Engineer... a nice fellow who used to live across the street from me, 30+ years ago.
We're no longer neighbors, so it would be <understatement>pretty tough</understatement> to ask him about this stuff now. ;)

Thanks for your reply!

TechnicalSteve
August 11th, 2016, 11:31 AM
@gslick: Like yourself, I found those. Not sure if they are the same. Possible, but I'm still looking for something that matches up with the term used in this 1977 ERS. Maybe it was renamed. I dunno! :) I appreciate the fact that you took the time to reply!