PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard madness

wasted39
December 2nd, 2006, 11:49 PM
Well, this was my first foray into fixing a keyboard. I took the keyboard out of my platinum IIe and looked it over. Seems that the individual keyswitches could be removed if the two solder points on the board were desoldered. I desoldered them, low and behold, the keyswitch pops out if you grab it with a pair of needle nose pliers. Upon further inspection, I discovered that the whole keyswitch was just popped together with two plastic spring type mechanisms. I took the switch apart to discover that the switch was actually a leaf type of sorts. After about an hour of experimentation and continuity testing, I found out the leaves were not contacting each other when the key was pressed down. I bent the main contact to actually give it more "spring" and retested with a multimeter. After reassembling the switch I popped it back into its spot on the keyboard and retested it. The switch seemed to be making continuity so I resoldered into the board and reassembled the computer. So far so good. Now that I know what to do I can troubleshoot the other bothersome keys. Before all this I was looking on the internet for any disassembly instructions and found a place that has shrinkwrapped IIe keyboards on the net. Soon as I get some money, I'll be picking one of these up. All in all it actually was fun. And besides, it keeps me out of trouble and my wife's hair. :)
http://vintagemicros.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/28/products_id/147?osCsid=56662c4cdd6277575d571ee8c5ebee70

atari2600a
December 3rd, 2006, 12:04 AM
Hm, one time I got so bored that I pulled all the keys off of 2 keyboards & swapped them! lol

I'm surprised that Apple //'s are (still) so common that there's a readily available stock of new keyboards!

jscooper
December 6th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Sounds like a similar problem to what I have with my II+ keyboard, though I was reluctant to start bending the leaves for fear of breaking them completely ( some keys work if I push REAL hard). You've helped confirm what I thought was the case. I'll be taking a another crack at it if I can't find a keyboard soon. Thanks.